Celebrating Women and Girls in Science

MY HERO celebrates women and girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). 

Credit: Dr. Santona Tuli Still from Secrets of the Universe, directed by Stephen Low

Get inspired by these short films celebrating women in science!

Dian Fossey; A Hero

Produced by:Lora Batchelor Middle School
This is a film about the life and career of Dian Fossey.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Ynes Mexia

A late bloomer, botanist Ynes Mexia enrolled in college at the age of 51. She led expeditions, including in the Amazon rainforest, discovering 500 new species of plants.

Katherine Johnson: The Human Computer

Jasmine Blossom Martoglio | Batchelor Middle School
This is a documentary about Katherine Johnson and why she is an American hero.

Secrets of the Universe Profile - DR. SANTONA TULI

Stephen Low

The Secrets of the Universe features Dr. Santona Ruli, a student of nuclear physics who shares about her involvement with CERN. PASSWORD: k2commu008

Breaking Boundaries in Science VR

Produced by:FILAMENT GAMES
Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis
A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD. Renowned Scientist.

Films from our Festival by Emerging Artists 

Grace Hopper

By: Audrey Eason
Trailblazing mathematician Grace Hopper is amazing example of the power you have if you put your mind to it!

Sally Ride

By: Hanna
Documentary made by a 3rd grade student on why Sally Ride is her hero.

Women and Girls in Science: Hero Stories

Nancy Caruso

By: Anabelle Vo
Nancy Caruso is a marine biologist who helped bring kelp forests back to the California coast.

Shree Bose: Scientist, Inventor and Member of Forbes 2023 30 Under 30

By: Naomi Gledhill
Shree Bose is an American scientist, currently working towards an MD from the Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, North Carolina, and has been included in Forbes’ 2023 30 Under 30 list

Alyssa Carson: A Future in Mars

By: Jennifer Yoshikoshi

Nelly Cheboi: CNN’s Hero of the Year 2022

By: Naomi Gledhill

Dr. Gladys West: The Pioneer in Mathematics That Gave Us GPS

By: Naomi Gledhill

Rachel Carson

By: Wendy Jewell
Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, was the mother of the environmental movement.

Regina G. Barber, Ph.D., ‘Chin@-Chicana’ Scientist Hero

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz

Sylvia Earle is changing the face of marine biology.

Katia Krafft

By: Abigail Richardson
Katia Krafft was a fearless pioneer in the study of volcanoes (volcanology), studying the explosive peaks at a time when there were few women in the field

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall

By: Saba Azimipour

Dr. Jane Goodall, named a UN Messenger of Peace, has been studying wild chimpanzees for over half a decade.

Valentina, First woman in space by MaRiana from US

By: Mariana
Valentina, First woman in space celebrated by Mariana

Peggy Whitson

By: Alex Gaytan
Peggy Whitson was the first female chief of NASA’s astronaut corps. (2/9/1960)

Hedy Lamarr

By: Paul from San Diego

Although known for her acting, Hedy Lamarr was a respected inventor whose selflessness and hard work made her a hero during WW2.

JEANETTE EPPS SET TO BECOME FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN ASTRONAUT ON ISS EXPEDITION CREW

By: ELLEN POWELL CSM Staff

Chiaki Mukai

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Chiaki Mukai is the first Japanese woman in space and the first Japanese citizen to do two spaceflights.

Sally Kristen Ride

By: Amanda Botts
Sally Ride is an astronaut, physicist, and was the first American woman to travel into space.

Judith A. Resnik

By: Alyssa from Ohio
Judith A. Resnik inspired others with her determination to become a scientist and an astronaut.

Mae Jemison

By: Allison Podzunas

Mae Jemsion is a retired NASA astronaut who was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Women and Girls in Science: Hero Stories for Younger Readers

Katherine Johnson: Early Reader Edition

By: Naomi Gledhill
Read this early-reader-friendly story about American mathematician, Katherine Johnson.

Ellen Ochoa: Early Reader Edition

By: Naomi Gledhill
Ellen Ochoa enjoyed learning about math, science, physics and engineering. In 1985, Ellen decided that she wanted to become an astronaut and fly to space.

Mae C. Jemison: Early Reader Edition

By: Naomi Gledhill
Mae C. Jemison was accepted to Stanford University with a scholarship aged 16. In 1987, Mae decided that she wanted to become an astronaut and fly to space.

Dame Jane Goodall: World Expert in Chimpanzees (Early-Reader Edition)

By: Naomi Gledhill
Dame Jane Goodall is the world's leading expert in chimpanzees. Read this early-reader edition to learn more about this incredible hero.

Lindsey Brinton

By: Sydney Roscoe

A middle school student shares her science hero: her sister, who has a PhD in Biomedical Engineering.

Marie M. Daly

By: Staff
Marie Maynard Daly was the first Black American woman to earn a PhD. in chemistry

Listen & Read Along

Science Hero: Marie M. Daly

Marie M. Daly became the first black woman in the United States to earn a Ph.D. in chemistry. She worked on chemical processes in living organisms

Science Hero: Nancy Caruso

Nancy founded the Kelp Fest in 2009 in order to help local communities better understand and appreciate the kelp forest.

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Ellen Ochoa

By: Daniel Chavez
As the first Hispanic female astronaut and a co-inventor of three patents, Ellen Ochoa is a shining example of female empowerment.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee
Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Art

Rachel Carson by Roberty Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Often referred to as "The Mother of the Environmental Movement," Carson worked hard to raise awareness of the environmental and health risks caused by chemicals

Science is Universal - Celeste Byers for Amplifier

By: Celeste Byers
As part of the Amplifier Foundation's support of the March on Science, Byers designed this poster

Stories Courtesy of MY HERO Partners

Zara Rutherford: Teen pilot tours global airspace, sets new record for solo flight
Credit: Geert Vanden Wijngaert CSM

How an MIT scientist paved the way for women in science

By: Barbara Spindel, CSM Contributor
In 1999, women in science celebrated a major victory when MIT admitted to gender discrimination and became a pacesetter for equality.

Tania Ruiz

By: Star Lawrence<br> <h5>Originally published on the <b>Minority Scientists Net...
Tania Ruiz is an astrophysicist committed to science education and helping women reach their goals.

Related Pages

Science Heroes (Sloan Foundation Grant)

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Recommended Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Abigail Richardson.

The IF/THEN® Collection

The largest free resource of its kind dedicated to increasing access to authentic and relatable images of real women in STEM.

Here in this digital library, you will find thousands of photos, videos and other assets that authentically represent women in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).  The content features careers as diverse as shark tagging, fashion design, and training Olympic athletes, and nudges public perceptions in a more realistic direction that illuminates the importance of STEM everywhere.

IF/THEN Women in STEM
Credit: If/Then collection

Organizer created on 2/25/2019 8:09:47 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 1/9/2024 8:56:14 AM by Abigail Richardson