International Day of Women and Girls in Science | February 11

International Day of Women and Girls in Science celebrates women and girls in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). 

Credit: Dr. Santona Tuli Still from Secrets of the Universe, directed by Stephen Low

Get inspired by these short films celebrating women in science!

Secrets of the Universe Profile - DR. SANTONA TULI

Stephen Low

The Secrets of the Universe features Dr. Santona Ruli, a student of nuclear physics who shares about her involvement with CERN. PASSWORD: k2commu008

Breaking Boundaries in Science VR

Produced by:FILAMENT GAMES
Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis
A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD. Renowned Scientist.

Science Hero Stories

Jane Goodall

By: Sitara Sidiqi

Dr. Jane Goodall, named a UN Messenger of Peace, has been studying wild chimpanzees for over half a decade.

Mae Jemison

By: Allison Podzunas

Mae Jemsion is a retired NASA astronaut who was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Kathryn Sullivan

By: Alicen

Kathryn Sullivan, a retired NASA astronaut, was the first American woman to walk in space. 

Sylvia Earle, Oceanographer

By: Sofia Garcia
Sylvia Earle is a noted marine biographer and explorer.

Science Hero Stories for Younger Readers

Lindsey Brinton

By: Sydney Roscoe

A middle school student shares her science hero: her sister, who has a PhD in Biomedical Engineering.

Bindi Sue Irwin

By: Sophia from Austin
Bindi Irwin is an Australian conservationist and performer.

Listen & Read Along

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee
Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Pioneering Female Science Heroes of the Past

Helen B. Taussig

By: Clarabel Skopec

Helen B. Taussig developed lifesaving treatments for babies with anoxemia, and she was the first female head of the children’s heart clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Alice Ball

By: MY HERO Staff

At age 23, Alice Ball discovered an injectable form of chaulmoogra oil that cured leprosy (aka Hansen's disease).

Augusta Ada Byron Lovelace

By: Edward Ortiz

Augusta Ada Byron Lovelace developed the world's first computer program while struggling with her own personal hardships.

Elizabeth Blackwell

By: Rebecca from Fredericksburg

Elizabeth Blackwell was the first woman in the United States to graduate from medical school and the first woman doctor of medicine in modern times.

Related Pages

Science Heroes (Sloan Foundation Grant)

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Recommended Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel.

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Organizer created on 2/25/2019 8:09:47 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 2/8/2020 3:16:52 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel