International Day of Women and Girls in Science | February 11

International Day of Women and Girls in Science celebrates women and girls in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). 

Credit: Dr. Santona Tuli Still from Secrets of the Universe, directed by Stephen Low

Get inspired by these short films celebrating women in science!

UNLADYLIKE2020: Ynes Mexia

A late bloomer, botanist Ynes Mexia enrolled in college at the age of 51. She led expeditions, including in the Amazon rainforest, discovering 500 new species of plants.

Secrets of the Universe Profile - DR. SANTONA TULI

Stephen Low

The Secrets of the Universe features Dr. Santona Ruli, a student of nuclear physics who shares about her involvement with CERN. PASSWORD: k2commu008

Breaking Boundaries in Science VR

Produced by:FILAMENT GAMES
Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis
A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD. Renowned Scientist.

Science Hero Stories

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz

Sylvia Earle is changing the face of marine biology.

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall

By: Saba Azimipour

Dr. Jane Goodall, named a UN Messenger of Peace, has been studying wild chimpanzees for over half a decade.

The IF/THEN® Collection

The largest free resource of its kind dedicated to increasing access to authentic and relatable images of real women in STEM.

Here in this digital library, you will find thousands of photos, videos and other assets that authentically represent women in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).  The content features careers as diverse as shark tagging, fashion design, and training Olympic athletes, and nudges public perceptions in a more realistic direction that illuminates the importance of STEM everywhere.

IF/THEN Women in STEM
Credit: If/Then collection

Hedy Lamarr

By: Paul from San Diego

Although known for her acting, Hedy Lamarr was a respected inventor whose selflessness and hard work made her a hero during WW2.

Mae Jemison

By: Allison Podzunas

Mae Jemsion is a retired NASA astronaut who was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Science Hero Stories for Younger Readers

Lindsey Brinton

By: Sydney Roscoe

A middle school student shares her science hero: her sister, who has a PhD in Biomedical Engineering.

Marie M. Daly

By: Staff
Marie Maynard Daly was the first Black American woman to earn a PhD. in chemistry

Listen & Read Along

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee
Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Related Pages

Science Heroes (Sloan Foundation Grant)

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Recommended Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 2/25/2019 8:09:47 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 2/9/2021 4:31:20 PM by Xenia Shin