Celebrating Women and Girls in Science

MY HERO celebrates women and girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). 

Credit: Dr. Santona Tuli Still from Secrets of the Universe, directed by Stephen Low

Get inspired by these short films celebrating women in science!

UNLADYLIKE2020: Ynes Mexia

A late bloomer, botanist Ynes Mexia enrolled in college at the age of 51. She led expeditions, including in the Amazon rainforest, discovering 500 new species of plants.

Katherine Johnson: The Human Computer

Jasmine Blossom Martoglio | Batchelor Middle School
This is a documentary about Katherine Johnson and why she is an American hero.

Secrets of the Universe Profile - DR. SANTONA TULI

Stephen Low

The Secrets of the Universe features Dr. Santona Ruli, a student of nuclear physics who shares about her involvement with CERN. PASSWORD: k2commu008

Breaking Boundaries in Science VR

Produced by:FILAMENT GAMES
Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis
A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD. Renowned Scientist.

Women and Girls in Science: Hero Stories

Regina G. Barber, Ph.D., ‘[email protected]’ Scientist Hero

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

Explorer Hero: Ellen Ochoa (español)

By: Daniel Chavez
Ellen Ochoa fue contra las adversidades y sobresalió, dando un excelente ejemplo de que todo es posible en la vida, y por esa razón, Ellen Ochoa es mi héroe!
Zara Rutherford

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz

Sylvia Earle is changing the face of marine biology.

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall

By: Saba Azimipour

Dr. Jane Goodall, named a UN Messenger of Peace, has been studying wild chimpanzees for over half a decade.

Valentina, First woman in space by MaRiana from US

By: Mariana
Valentina, First woman in space celebrated by Mariana

Peggy Whitson

By: Alex Gaytan
Peggy Whitson was the first female chief of NASA’s astronaut corps. (2/9/1960)

Hedy Lamarr

By: Paul from San Diego

Although known for her acting, Hedy Lamarr was a respected inventor whose selflessness and hard work made her a hero during WW2.

JEANETTE EPPS SET TO BECOME FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN ASTRONAUT ON ISS EXPEDITION CREW

By: ELLEN POWELL CSM Staff

Chiaki Mukai

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Chiaki Mukai is the first Japanese woman in space and the first Japanese citizen to do two spaceflights.

Sally Kristen Ride

By: Amanda Botts
Sally Ride is an astronaut, physicist, and was the first American woman to travel into space.

Judith A. Resnik

By: Alyssa from Ohio
Judith A. Resnik inspired others with her determination to become a scientist and an astronaut.

Mae Jemison

By: Allison Podzunas

Mae Jemsion is a retired NASA astronaut who was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Mae Jemison (French)

By: Christian Walsh
N’observe pas de limites à cause de l’imagination limitée des autres. Et ne limite pas les autres à cause de ton imagination limitée .

Women and Girls in Science: Hero Stories for Younger Readers

Lindsey Brinton

By: Sydney Roscoe

A middle school student shares her science hero: her sister, who has a PhD in Biomedical Engineering.

Marie M. Daly

By: Staff
Marie Maynard Daly was the first Black American woman to earn a PhD. in chemistry

Listen & Read Along

Science Hero: Nancy Caruso

Nancy founded the Kelp Fest in 2009 in order to help local communities better understand and appreciate the kelp forest.

Science Hero: Marie M. Daly

Marie M. Daly became the first black woman in the United States to earn a Ph.D. in chemistry. She worked on chemical processes in living organisms

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee
Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Related Pages

Science Heroes (Sloan Foundation Grant)

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Recommended Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

The IF/THEN® Collection

The largest free resource of its kind dedicated to increasing access to authentic and relatable images of real women in STEM.

Here in this digital library, you will find thousands of photos, videos and other assets that authentically represent women in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).  The content features careers as diverse as shark tagging, fashion design, and training Olympic athletes, and nudges public perceptions in a more realistic direction that illuminates the importance of STEM everywhere.

IF/THEN Women in STEM
Credit: If/Then collection

Organizer created on 2/25/2019 8:09:47 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 10/2/2022 3:21:18 PM by Deborah