International Youth Day | August 12

Take part in International Youth Day with MY HERO's multimedia showcase celebrating youth as partners in change as well as raising awareness of their challenges.

Credit: UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras

2019 Theme: Transforming Education

This year we highlight efforts to make education more inclusive and accessible for all youth, including efforts by youth themselves.

Education plays a role in the prevention of conflict.

Education is also a ‘development multiplier’ and accelerates progress across all 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, such as poverty eradication, good health, gender equality, decent work and growth, reduced inequalities, action on climate or peaceful societies. 

Teachers: Share the importance of International Youth Day with your students. Use the International Youth Day Multimedia Lesson Plan in the classroom. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Stories

Did you know? International Youth Day was established by the UN in 1999.

Activist Mohamed Sidibay - Education for All

By: Betty Bailey
Global education activist and former child soldier Mohamed Sidibay has dedicated his life to education for all.

Films

Enjoy these two films about Mohamed Sidibay and Malala Yousafzai, who are young advocates for children's equal rights to education. 

Mohamed Sidibay: Teaching Peace

Producer: The MY HERO Project
Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide.

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Producer: Laurie MacDonald
HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

Enjoy the following films by young filmmakers making a difference in the world. They use their craft to shine a light on issues that are important to them: climate change, identity, and racism.

Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman

Producer: Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, et al.

Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. We talk to the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree about how she wants to make art for social change.

Smoke That Travels [Trailer]

Producer: Kayla Briët
What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.

Slater Unstoppable

Produced by:MY HERO
Director Slater Jewell Kemker is a filmmaker and environmental activist whose films document the environmental youth movement.

Teen Press Award Sizzle

Produced by:Hila Hamidi

The MY HERO International Film Festival is looking for teen filmmakers telling their stories. Submit your film to the Teen Press Award!

Listen to Trey Carlisle's spoken word performance. Consider creating your own spoken word poem about a cause you feel is important, and sharing it with the MY HERO global community!

History will be Repeated

Produced by:Trey Carlisle
Watch filmmaker/spoken word artistTrey Carlisle's electrifying performance of his original poem promoting tolerance.

Music

Mendy Kanu saw a need in his community and started the Children's Foundation of Technology in Sierra Leone for impoverished children. Enjoy this song written by his students.

The song "Future Generation" is dedicated to street kids and encourages them to see that the best way forward in life is through education.

Mendy Kanu
Credit: Mendy Kanu

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year

Organizer created on 8/9/2018 1:06:40 PM by Staff

Last edited 11/7/2019 4:44:04 PM by Laura Nietzer