October Is LGBT History Month

Learn about the importance of LGBT History Month with MY HERO's curated multi-media showcase of LGBT activism.

For LGBT History Month, we shine a light on LGBT activist heroes who have advanced LGBT rights and acceptance.  

For more LGBT heroes who have shaped culture, check out our page celebrating LGBT Pride Month.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for LGBT History Month. Includes multimedia content, discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Watch these inspiring short films about LGBT acceptance.

I Have Four Parents

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk

Angela Kim
As a gay rights pioneer, Harvey Milk made history being the first openly gay elected official in California and one of the first in the country.

Love Has No Labels

Producer: Prod. The Ad Council / Dir. R/GA
The Love Has No Labels campaign challenges us to open our eyes to our bias and prejudice and work to stop it in ourselves, others and institutions.

Austin Police Department & LGPOA: It Gets Better

Producer: Steven McCormick/Shawn Northcutt
The Lesbian & Gay Peace Officers Association sends a message to LGBTQ youth that it does get better.

Interview with Georgia Bridgers (LGBTQ YouTuber)

Kitty Richardson
An interview with Georgia Bridgers, a YouTuber, on how she uses her channel to promote LGBT acceptance.

About LGBT History Month

Rodney Wilson, a high school teacher from Missouri, created LGBT History Month in 1994. He chose October because it included National Coming Out Day (October 11) and the anniversary of the first march on Washington by LGBT people on October 14, 1979.

Art from  the Gallery that represents leaders and the spirit of the original Gay rights movement in the United States

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) from AmericansWhoTelltheTruth.org Hay has been described as "the father of gay liberation"

By: Robert Shetterly

James Baldwin painted by Robert Shetterly, Author, activist and gay spokesperson for the African-American community

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights activist and writer James Baldwin portrayed as an American Who Tells the Truth by Robert Shetterly

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta, he was first openly gay elected official in California who advocated for Gay rights

By: Marilyn Huerta

Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocatedfor gay rights

Gay Activists protesting are honored and loved in this artwork

By: EB

These four stories celebrate heroes who were LGBT trailblazers in their respective fields.

Jazz Jennings

By: Sophie White
Jazz Jennings, a transgender woman and a television personality, is the youngest person to have become a transgender figure.

Karl Heinrich Ulrichs

By: Maddy from San Diego
Karl Heinrich Ulrichs was the first known activist for gay rights.

Harvey Milk

By: Tammy Chen from San Diego

Milk was the first openly gay politician and worked to gain equal rights for the LGBT community.

Ellen DeGeneres

By: Lilly Sicat
Ellen DeGeneres is a comedian and talk show host whose character on "Ellen" was the first openly gay lead.

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Check out the MY HERO Calendar

Students: Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel. Shannon is a critical mixed race scholar and writer based in Hollywood, CA. 

Organizer created on 8/24/2013 2:48:08 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 10/7/2021 12:02:18 PM by Wendy Milette