Environmental

Local Climate Solutions: Biodiversity & Forest Conservation in the Sierra Gorda

Directed by: Rob Holmes | Documentary | United States / Mexico | 05:53

Over 35 years ago Grupo Ecológico Sierra Gorda (GESG) was founded, led by the singular vision of one woman and her family and their mission to preserve, protect and regenerate the unique biodiversity of the Sierra Gorda. Since their founding, the GESG team has built out integrated community environmental education programs and celebrations to bring joy to the serious work of regeneration and conservation. Their community-led model, backed by science and research, has led to measurable habitat regeneration. The next frontier in their work is an innovative model linking their conservation work through a government collaboration to a biodiverse carbon reduction plan. This program will bring financial capital from private companies directly to the communities and landowners using a version of a carbon credit program. This financial pipeline will amplify the critical regenerative conservation work being led by GESG as well as bring new paths for economic security to the communities who rely on the land for their livelihood.