MY HERO Celebrates Mentors

January Is Mentoring Month

Credit: Sing for Hope

Read two prize-winning essays below.

Terry Fyke

By: McKenna Light

"Between artistic directors, choreographers and music directors, each person involved in every show I am a part of impacts me in varying ways. Among them all, none have ever had such a profound effect on me as Terry Fyke."

My Mentor - Bob Swaisgood

By: Zach Kroesen

"Bob gives not only me, but many students and adults with whom he works, trust, independence and solutions in approaching difficult problems."

Mentors can be teachers, older friends or family, or anyone who helps you navigate the world. Want to share the story of your mentor? Click the banner below, or head to myhero.com/create

You can also pay a tribute to your mentor in our guestbook: https://myhero.com/guestbook

The mentors in these stories work alongside MY HERO to mentor youth and adults.

Jessica Mayberry

By: Eva Haller
Jessica Mayberry is the founder and executive director of Video Volunteers, an organization that teaches filmmaking to underrepresented communities in India.

Eva Haller

By: Xenia Shin

Eva Haller is the recipient of the Ban Ki-moon Mentorship Award and the Forbes Women Mentoring Award.

Cheikh Darou Seck

By: Seny from Dakar
Cheikh Darou Seck is an English teacher in Senegal who inspires his students to become MY HERO reporters and filmmakers.

Cheri Gaulke

By: Joy Wolf

Cheri Gaulk has mentored hundreds of successful video/film projects in her roles as a Video Art teacher and director of the Summer Film Program at Harvard-Westlake.

Mentors who encourage students to submit to MY HERO

Jeffrey Rudkin Receives 2022 MY HERO Teacher Award

By: Deborah Neff, Staff writer

In Progress, a Non-Profit Arts' Organization, Wins at 2021 Film Festival

By: Abigail Richardson
In Progress provides opportunities for artists to develop their skills as digital storytellers through the use of photography, video, and music.

Holly Carter

By: Wendy Jewell
Holly Carter gives kids and others the tools to tell their stories.

Leonid Nevidomiy

By: Abigail Richardson
In September 2022, Leonid Nevidomiy a teacher from Yelanetskyi the Mykolavyiv region, Ukraine encouraged students to submit 10 pieces of work to the MY HERO Project.

Mendy Kanu: Pioneering Educationalist in Sierra Leone

By: Abigail Richardson
Mendy founded The Children Foundations of Technology School.

Cheikh Darou Seck Global Educator

By: Laura Nietzer
MY HERO honors Global Educator Cheikh Darou Seck, a principal from Dakar, Senegal. Since we met at an iEARN conference in Slovakia in 2004, Cheikh and his students have contributed stories, art and films to MY HERO and we are forever grateful to him for his leadership.

Listen & Read Along

Herb Alpert

By: David Kelly
Herb Alpert is a musician and artist who inspires young people to reach their potential.

Paul Cummins

By: Kristin Herbert for MY HERO
Paul Cummins has devoted his career to finding ways to provide all children equitable access to a quality education.

The short films below highlight the power to change a life through mentoring. Meet both mentees and mentors through the films.

Frida

Frida shares her experience being mentored by Esther Wojcicki at Palo Alto High School.

WOJ!

Produced by:by Jeanne Meyers & Wendy Milette
Esther Wojcicki shares her vision for a Moonshot Movement in Education.

Righteous Conversations - MEDIA Award

Produced by:Righteous Conversations Project
Righteous Conversations Project mentors youth to tell stories that promote tolerance.

Women Transforming Media -- Eva Haller

Producer: Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin
Eva Haller's dedication to philanthropy and activism is a lifelong endeavor.

Art that Celebrates Educators Who Act as Powerful Mentors

MY HERO IS CHEIKH SECK

By: Antonio Mendoza

Cheikh is a true mentor to his students.

Senegal Mural

By: Cheikh Seck's students

A section from a mural about life in Dakar

Senegalese Student Making MY HERO Art on the Computer

By: Cheikh Seck

Cheikh encourages his students to be computer creative as well as computer literate.

When I Learned to Read I Felt Powerful

By: Liza Donnelly

Mohamed Sidibay is a global educator who inspires young men in Sierra Leone to go to school, to study and to understand technology.

Related Pages

Esther Wojcicki

By: Wendy Milette and Jeanne Meyers

External Links

Who Mentored You? Learn about the mentors of celebrities like Marian Wright Edelman, Oprah...
Credit: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 1/11/2017 10:27:28 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 12/13/2023 1:25:05 PM by Abigail Richardson