MY HERO Celebrates Mentors

January Is Mentoring Month

Terry Fyke

By: McKenna Light

"Between artistic directors, choreographers and music directors, each person involved in every show I am a part of impacts me in varying ways. Among them all, none have ever had such a profound effect on me as Terry Fyke."

My Mentor - Bob Swaisgood

By: Zach Kroesen

"Bob gives not only me, but many students and adults with whom he works, trust, independence and solutions in approaching difficult problems."

Mentors can be teachers, older friends or family, or anyone who helps you navigate the world. Want to share the story of your mentor? Click the banner below, or head to myhero.com/create

You can also pay a tribute to your mentor in our guestbook: https://myhero.com/guestbook

Mentor Stories from Students

José Lopéz Mercedes

By: Paulina Skrzydlewska

"[A] usual unusual mentor, José Lopéz Mercedes [is] our teacher from AESL class at Santa Ana College."

Julio Vasquez

By: Sarah from British Columbia

Julio Vasquez was beloved mentor and master of taekwondo. [This story is also available in Spanish.]

Pastor Patrick Figueroa

By: Joseph from Simpsonville

"Patrick Figueroa was my spiritual father and mentor, as well as everyone else’s at the table."

Dean Kamen

By: Oleg from Toronto

"Dean [showed] us that it’s so much more fun to design a video game than to play one."

The Mentors in These Stories Partner with MY HERO

Eva Haller

By: Xenia Shin

Eva Haller is the recipient of the Ban Ki-moon Mentorship Award and the Forbes Women Mentoring Award.

Cheikh Darou Seck

By: Seny from Dakar
Cheikh Darou Seck is an English teacher in Senegal who inspires his students to become MY HERO reporters and filmmakers.

Cheri Gaulke

By: Joy Wolf

Cheri Gaulk has mentored hundreds of successful video/film projects in her roles as a Video Art teacher and director of the Summer Film Program at Harvard-Westlake.

Jerrilyn Jacobs

By: the MY HERO Project
Jerrilyn Jacobs mentors her students in music, dance and filmmaking.

Listen & Read Along

Herb Alpert

By: David Kelly
Herb Alpert is a musician and artist who inspires young people to reach their potential.

Paul Cummins

By: Kristin Herbert for MY HERO
Paul Cummins has devoted his career to finding ways to provide all children equitable access to a quality education.

The short films below highlight the power to change a life through mentoring. Meet both mentees and mentors through the films.

Frida

Frida shares her experience being mentored by Esther Wojcicki at Palo Alto High School.

WOJ!

Produced by:by Jeanne Meyers & Wendy Milette
Esther Wojcicki shares her vision for a Moonshot Movement in Education.

Righteous Conversations - MEDIA Award

Produced by:Righteous Conversations Project
Righteous Conversations Project mentors youth to tell stories that promote tolerance.

Women Transforming Media -- Eva Haller

Producer: Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin
Eva Haller's dedication to philanthropy and activism is a lifelong endeavor.

Art that Celebrates Educators Who Act as Powerful Mentors

MY HERO IS CHEIKH SECK

By: Antonio Mendoza

Cheikh is a true mentor to his students.

Senegal Mural

By: Cheikh Seck's students

A section from a mural about life in Dakar

Senegalese Student Making MY HERO Art on the Computer

By: Cheikh Seck

Cheikh encourages his students to be computer creative as well as computer literate.

When I Learned to Read I Felt Powerful

By: Liza Donnelly

Mohamed Sidibay is a global educator who inspires young men in Sierra Leone to go to school, to study and to understand technology.

Related Pages

Esther Wojcicki

By: Wendy Milette and Jeanne Meyers

External Links

Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health logo
Credit: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel. Shannon is a critical mixed race scholar and writer based in Hollywood, CA. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Organizer created on 1/11/2017 10:27:28 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 2/6/2020 1:44:39 PM by Laura Nietzer