WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. (Article 19: Universal Declaration on Human Rights.)

Stories

Dan Eldon

By: Wendy Jewell
Dan Eldon inspired Kathy Eldon with his art, his poetry and his life.

Daniel Pearl

By: Geeta Malik and Kathy Crockett
Daniel Pearl was a Wall Street Journal reporter who reported the news with courage, integrity, and intelligence.

Daniel Ellsberg

By: Robert Ellsberg
Daniel Ellsberg is a whistle blower and truth teller responsible for publishing the Pentagon Papers.

Elizabeth Jane Cochrane<br>(Nellie Bly)

By: Penelope
Elizabeth Jane Cochrane (Nellie Bly) was a journalist who went around the world in 72 days.

Oriana Fallaci

By: Joy Wolf
Oriana Fallaci was an important Italian journalist. by Joy Wolf.

Margaret Bourke-White

By: Jennifer Beck
“It is my firm belief that democracy will not lose hold as long as people really know what is going on, and the photographer has a very valuable part to do in showing what is going on.” Margaret Bourke-White

Rob Warden

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson

John Steinbeck

By: Peter Z. from San Diego
John Steinbeck wrote of his love of the earth and of the poor who struggled on it.

Writer Hero: Mark Twain

By: David Ginsburg
Mark Twain was a prolific author and beloved American humorist.

Josephine Ruffin

By: Brittney from New Haven
Josephine Ruffin served as the editor and publisher of the first newspaper published by and for African-American women.

Nawal El Saadawi

By: Geeta Malik
Nawal El Saadawi continued writing while in prison, her words could not be silenced.

Dorothea Lange

By: Susannah Abbey
Dorothea Lange captured powerful moments in history with a keen eye for the human condition.

James Nachtwey

By: Claudia Hudson
"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

Hajime Shiraishi's tiny but influential OurPlanet-TV keeps focus on Japan's nuclear disaster

By: Takehiko Kambayashi<br> Correspondent of <br>The Christi...
Hajime Shiraishi, the web-based journalist, is one of the few in Japan who continue to visit the region around Fukushima and give a voice to those who have been affected.

Esther Wojcicki

By: Wendy Milette and Jeanne Meyers

Studs Terkel

By: <h5>MY HERO STAFF</h5>
Studs Terkel The author who captured the stories of everyday people celebrates his 95th birthday.

John Seigel Boettner

By: Betty Bailey
John Seigel Boettner brings his classroom out into the world and the world into his classroom through bikes and film.

Art

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

Helen Thomas

By: Robert Shetterly

Irene Fernandez

By: Tom Block

Mark Twain

By: Robert Shetterly

Dorothea Lange

By: Robert Shetterly

Migrant Mother

By: Dorothea Lange (1895 - 1965)

Natalia Estemirova

By: Denise Beaudet

The Journey is the destination

By: Dan Eldon
Credit: Ben Heine

Film

Esther Wojcicki

The Art of Life: Dan Eldon in Africa

Producer: Charles Tsai
A moving film about Dan Eldon, an artist, photojournalist and humanitarian who was killed on assignment in 1993 when he was only 22 years old.

Erin Gruwell: The Power of Stories

Producer: Santa Barbara Middle School Teen Press
Helena and Jayden sit down with Freedom Writers' teacher and peacemaker Erin Gruwell at the My Hero Celebration of the International Day of Peace.

Thanks to the Whistleblowers

Producer: Dave Puls

A musical tribute to the courage of those who stood up for justice.

Slater Jewell-Kemker: Youth Reporter and Activist Filmmaker

Producer: The Unity Center
Slater Jewell-Kemker is inspired to use media for expressing her activist voice.

Brian Lamb - A Hero for Maintaining Democracy

Producer: McKenna Young
Brian Lamb, the hero behind C-SPAN.

Sarah Elliott

Producer: Meyers & Mendoza
Laguna Beach native Sarah Elliot journeys to Africa working as a photojournalist in remote regions.

Thembi Ngubane

Thembi Ngubane offered hope to others living with HIV/AIDS.

Links

Organizer created on 4/16/2014 10:05:35 PM