Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks was born February 4, 1913, in Tuskagee, Alabama. On December 5, 1955, she refused to give up her seat to a white passenger. This act of defiance led to her arrest and inspired the Montgomery Bus Boycott, led by the NAACP. The boycott lasted 381 days, until the Supreme Court ruled bus segregation unconstitutional. 

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Rosa Parks Lesson Plan. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Why Rosa Parks is MY HERO

Rosa Parks

By: Vritika from San Diego

High school student essay about his hero Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks, my heroine!

By: Perrine WARIN

A student from France writes about why her heroine is Rosa Parks. 

Rosa Parks

By: Alejandra Portillo

Alejandra from Spain shares why Rosa Parks is her hero.

Rosa Parks

By: Yian

Rosa Parks is a hero to Yian from Kazakhstan.

Listen & Read Along

Rosa Parks

By: Francisca Stewart

This story about Rosa Parks is available in text with audio. 

Film about Rosa Parks

My Life with Rosie [Trailer]

Angela Williamson

This documentary is focused on Rosie Parks' 40 years of community service in the city of Detroit.

Artwork Inspired by Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks

By: Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org, 2002 - Americans Who Tell the Truth

"The only tired I was, was tired of giving in." - Rosa Parks

Ms. Rosa Parks

By: Gail G. Slockett

Portrait of Rosa Parks by Gail Slockett

Related Pages

Claudette Colvin

By: Maya

Claudette Colvin was jailed for refusing to give up her seat on the bus in segregated Montgomery, Alabama.

Claudette Colvin

By: Robert Shetterly

A portrait of the brave young African-American girl who would not give up her bus seat in 1955

Rosa Parks Artwork

By: MY HERO Staff
Art inspired by Rosa Parks

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Inspire someone and share your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel.

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Organizer created on 1/17/2020 5:00:08 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 2/1/2020 3:09:11 PM by Xenia Shin