Spike Lee is an award-winning filmmaker who is best known for influential films such as "Malcolm X" and "Do the Right Thing." In 2015 he was the recipient of an honorary Academy Award for his contributions to filmmaking. He has taught at Harvard and NYU Tisch School of the Arts. He owns the production company 40 Acres and a Mule, which has made 35 films.

Spike Lee

by Alex from New York

122185Spike LeeDavid Shankbone [CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

A successful person in the film industry has to have produced a piece of work that has had high recognition. An example of such a person is Spike Lee. Born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1957, he moved to Brooklyn when he was very young. He returned to Atlanta when he was accepted to Morehouse College and started majoring in film across the street at Clark University through cross registration.

As an African-American, he is a pioneer in producing, writing, and directing. His first film was Joe’s Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads, when he went on to film school in 1983. Out of the 31 movies he has filmed and various TV shows, his work has been highly acclaimed. An example of such is the film Do The Right Thing. It was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay in 1989.

I’m interested in his career because I also enjoy making and editing films. I have always dreamed of creating an amazing story using visual art on film. There is still a lot that I can learn from film production but I think I have a large amount of creativity and inspiration to become successful.

40 Acres - Spike Lee's production company