Black History Month | Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Learn about Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature.

Credit: Mural of Toni Morrison. Photo by Zarateman [CC0], from Wikimedia Commons

Amanda Gorman, America's First Youth Poet Laureate

Amanda Gorman: The Poet Who Healed a Nation

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Amanda Gorman, America's first Youth Poet Laureate, recited the original poem "The Hill We Climb" at the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.

The Hill We Climb by Poet Hero Amanda Gorman

"For there was always light. If only we're brave enough to see it. If only we're brave enough to be it." Audio of The Hill We Climb

Stories

The Sculptor: Selma Burke

By: Sebastian Ruiz
Selma Burke was an influential African American sculptor during the Harlem Renaissance in the U.S.

The Word Revolutionist: James Baldwin

By: Sebastian Ruiz
James Baldwin was a highly influential author of the Harlem Renaissance.

Louis Armstrong

By: Michael Lee
Louis Armstrong was a jazz pioneer who was never afraid to take a chance and is considered one of the greatest jazz musicians of all time.

Spike Lee

By: Dorothy Lie

Spike Lee is an Academy Award-winning producer, director, writer, and actor whose films wrestle with social justice issues that affect the Black community.

Films

Ryan Coogler - Filmmaker Hero

Produced by:MY HERO
As a student filmmaker at USC, Coogler showed great potential with his short films. In 2010 he was awarded with best college narrative in the MY HERO International Film Festival with his short film "Locks".

Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman

Produced by:Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, et al.

Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. 

MY HERO Project spotlight on Trey Carlisle

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Meet 2016 Emerging Artist Trey Carlisle.

These Stories Are Available With Audio to Listen & Read Along

Langston Hughes

By: Jeff Trussell

Langston Hughes did not confine himself to revealing just the cadences of black music to his readers. Rather, he wanted his audience to taste the whole of the African-American experience.

Maya Angelou

By: Susannah Abbey
Maya Angelou is a beloved female author and poet.

Misty Copeland

By: Francesca from San Diego

Misty Copeland has paved the way for other African American ballerinas. 

Rosetta Tharpe

By: Emmalina from NYC
Rosetta Tharpe was a gospel singer and guitar player who influenced the making of rock and roll.

Ella Fitzgerald

By: Julie from Selden
Ella Fitzgerald was a beloved songstress who used her success to help people of all races, cultures and beliefs.

Duke Ellington

By: Wynton Marsalis
The legendary Duke Ellington with his love of life, his intelligence, and his dedication to American music inspires musician and educator Wynton Marsalis.

Celebrating African American Art Heroes through Art

Black History Month Artwork

Related Pages

Black History Month

Celebrate Black History Month and the achievements of African Americans in civil rights, science, art and sports.

Black History Month | Civil Rights and Social Justice Heroes

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be Inspired by African American Civl Rights and Social Justice Heroes.

Visual Artists inspired by Jazz

By: Giselle Villatoro
Artist often derive inspiration from various media. These are a couple painters who were inspired by Jazz.

Black History Month | Heroes in the Sciences

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates African American Heroes in the Sciences

By: MY HERO Staff

Black History Month | Heroes in Sports

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Get inspired by African American Heroes in Sports.

Juneteenth

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Juneteenth, or African American Freedom Day, celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation, which abolished slavery in the United States in 1865. The day is celebrated on June 19th, the month the proclamation was read to the slaves in Texas -- the last state to uphold slavery after the proclamation went into effect in January of that year.

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 1/27/2019 8:30:51 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 2/21/2024 3:23:53 PM by Laura Nietzer