The Little Rock 9

On September 23, 1957, African American students known as "The Little Rock Nine" desegregated Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. Three years earlier, the Supreme Court passed Brown v. Board of Education, which ruled school segregation unconstitutional. While the nine had the law and the school behind them, they faced tremendous discrimination from citizens and the national guard.

Credit: Courtesy of the US National Archives/US Army [Public Domain]

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for the Little Rock 9. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Hero Stories about the Little Rock 9

Constance Baker Motley

By: Jane Wallace

Constance Baker Motley helped write the Supreme Court brief for Brown v. Board of Education, which gave the Little Rock 9 the right to attend Little Rock High School.

Melba Pattillo Beals: a Warrior and a Hero

By: Allyson Chong
One of the "Little Rock Nine"--students who integrated Little Rock High School in Arkansas.

The Little Rock Nine

By: Shannon from Post Falls

Shannon teaches in a rural Arkansas school for two weeks and looks for a hero--but finds nine.

Thurgood Marshall

By: Vijay

Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall was instrumental in school desegregation, through Brown v. Board of Education.

Ernest Green

By: KInzer Ratajczyk

Ernest Green was part of the Little Rock 9, who desegregated Central High School in Arkansas. He was the first of the 9 to graduate from the school

Books

Cracking the Wall: The Struggles of the Little Rock Nine

By: Eileen Lucas
Synopsis A brief introduction to the ...

Warriors Don't Cry

By: Melba Patillo Beals
Synopsis In 1957, Melba Pattillo turn...

Artists from the Gallery honor Little Rock Nine participants as heroes

Thurgood Marshall - Reigning Supreme

By: Michael Mahue Moore

Ultimately Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall was instrumental as a deciding vote in the Brown v. Board of Education case to desegregate US schools

Melba Pattillo Beals by Sara

By: Sara

Melba Pattillo Beals wrote a memoir titled Warriors Don't Cry,.that documents her having had acid thrown in her eyes, trying to desegregate Little Rock Central High School in 1957

Films

Little Rock Nine

Kitty Richardson
A short film giving an overview of the history of the Little Rock 9.

Listen & Read Along

Child Hero: Ruby Nell Bridges

Listen to this story about Ruby Bridges as you read along.

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison from Maine
One of the most important heroes in the fight against segregation in America was a six-year-old girl, Ruby Nell Bridges.

Related Pages

Little Rock Nine Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer
Share the importance of Brown vs. Board of Education decision with students. MY HERO's multimedia lesson plan includes discussion guide and learning outcome.

Justice Thurgood Marshall

By: Staff Writer
Thurgood Marshall was a lawyer, the founder of the NAACP Legal Defense Education Fund, and the first African-American justice. Of the 32 cases he argued before the Supreme Court, he won 29. An important force in the 20th century civil rights movement, he helped to shape the legal landscape of the United States.

Thurgood Marshall Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer
Multimedia curated teacher resource and learning outcomes. MY HERO celebrates the accomplishment of Thurgood Marshall. Thurgood Marshall was born on July 2, 1908.

Black History Month | Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be Inspired by African American Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year:

Check out the MY HERO Calendar

My Hero Calendar - 365 Days of Heroes
Credit: mh

Students: Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 7/31/2019 4:07:30 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 9/20/2022 11:44:30 AM by Laura Nietzer