The Petition

Riley Goodwin, Kibiriti Majuto | Light House Studio | Documentary | 2017 | USA

Password: lighthouse

The proposed removal of the Robert E. Lee statue at Lee Park in Charlottesville Virginia has been a contentious issue among the residents of the town. Two Light House students sought to examine the issues at hand through documentary filmmaking.

<
>

WTM: Vincent De Paul on Hero Penny Marshall
Tribute by actor Vincent De Paul ton his hero director Penny Marshall.
1:54
The Sunrise Storyteller - Trailer
The Sunrise Storyteller follows the hero's journey of teenage filmmaker & social justice advocate, Kasha Sequoia Slavner, as she sets out for six months on her 16th birthday across the world in search of stories of hope and resilience that shine a light on what it means to be a global citizen and how we can all make a difference.
5:06
Welcome to the Peace Center
Two student filmmakers embark on a journey into Bukinda, Uganda, one of the most rural villages of the country, to capture the lives of children in The Peace Centre Uganda orphanage.
Sacred
In light of the recent natural disasters and climate changes, now more than ever must we praise Mother Earth on a deeper level.
Dieu Merci: The Story of Michele Rodri
Password: rcp This story of Michele Rodri was created with youth and Holocaust Survivors through the Righteous Conversations Project. Learn about this amazing holocaust survivor and her journey.
9:52
Marian Wright Edelman and the Children's Defense Fund: A Fight for Children's Advocacy
This documentary tells the story of the Children's Defense Fund and its involvement in legislative efforts toward a better future for America's kids.
Women Transforming Media: Kayla Briët
Kayla Briët is an emerging filmmaker and composer. Women Transforming Media talks to the National Young Arts Finalist, Sundance Ignite Fellow and TED Fellow about her short, Smoke That Travels, a celebration and reflection on her native American heritage.
Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman
Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. We talk to the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree, National Young Arts alumna in Cinematic Arts and Presidential Scholar finalist about how she wants to make art for social change.
1:35
Preserve the Future
The PSA shows that for each of those problems there is a solution and these solutions already exist. They have been used in the past and we need to discover them and use them again.
4:46
The Monster in my Head
A girl stands up to the negative voice inside her head.
1:16
Homeless Teen PSA
40% of homeless teens identify as LGBTQ+. 50% have parents that don't care that they're gone. Let's take care of each other.
1:09
Education Equity PSA
Zipcodes shouldn't determine educational opportunities.
1:04
Microaggression
Once the words jump over the teeth, there is no way it will ever come back.
The Petition
Seen Not Heard
How do we create a more just society where women and girls are seen and heard?
Statement of Truth
Youth filmmakers of color (ages 12-17) interview black and latino media creators on the state of race relations and media representation today.
Sea of Stories
Every place has a story. The sea has given us so many through out mankind’s history. In this tale a greedy Carolina planter steals a beautiful mermaid from her ocean home. Through her own power she is able to save herself, while her captor is oblivious the terrible fate that awaits him because of his selfish actions.
Baltimore Speaks
This project explores a variety of voices in Baltimore around healthcare needs for residents of the city.
1:26
What You Plant You Harvest
A kitchen comes to life as a characteristic chaotic breakfast scene, to be expected in a family household, unravels.
1:16
The World Is Too Much With Us
Based on the poem by William Wordsworth