College

Threads

Directed by: Ian Sam James | Produced by: Nathaniel Huey | Documentary | 2017 | USA/Peru | 10:12

In these days of mass consumerism, it can seem like preservation of history and culture is something that belongs to the past. Threads of Peru is an NGO based in Cusco that branches out to several expert weaving communities in order to guide them to how they can sustain their ancient practice in the modern world. This film focuses on a specific community a world away in the vast Andes mountains, led by the eldest of four sisters as they face the challenge of maintaining their intricate tradition and language during the demand for profit and income.

For More Information

Actuality Media
Threads of Peru
<
>

7:53
The Toothmans
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.
3:49
Nico Castro: The Next American B-boy
A Breaking dance profile on the rising star Nico Castro.After his mother, brother, and grandfather all passed away, Nico could not have felt more lost. With no other choice, he quickly took charge of his own life. From his tragedies he creates art, and Nico Castro now dances down his own path to becoming the next American B-boy champion.
7:05
Hero Complex
Marlow is the new kid in school and finds it hard to be recognized, especially with popular bullies around! As we all know, the only one way to beat a villain is to become a superhero!
9:23
Threads of Hope
Millions of hard working home-based workers in Nepal - the majority of them women - are the driving force of the local business.
8:46
Cycle of Change
Moved by the lack of opportunity for women and youth in her community in El Salvador, Reina Molino ventures to Guatemala to study bici-maquinas—bicycle pedal-power technology.
4:06
In a Heartbeat
A closeted boy runs the risk of being outed by his own heart after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.
1:05
#AnywhereIsSafer
A short animation set to the words of Warsan Shire's 'Home' – a poem about the experience of refugees fleeing untold atrocities in the countries.
4:18
The Present
Jake spends most of his time playing videogames indoors until his mum decides to give him a present.
The Barefoot Lawyers of Uganda
This is the story of Winnie, a woman who stood up for herself and used her legal rights to overcome a multitude of hardships.
Kayla Briet - SIZZLE
Kayla is a multi-talented young artist who creates and shares inspirational soul-quenching media.
Smoke That Travels [Trailer]
What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.
Down The Stream
Not much of a glimmer of hope. No happy ending to follow. Life goes on. The river flows on.
Light of the Night
In the darkness of WWII, one woman takes on the entire Holocaust movement-- and wins 2,500 times.
12:20
The Last Iceman of Chimborazo
For over 50 years, Baltazar Ushca has harvested the ice of Ecuador’s Mount Chimborazo. His job is disappearing along with the glacier.
14:46
Present Trauma
'Present Trauma' is a psychological drama about Keith, a Marine veteran struggling to cope with family life after a combat tour overseas.
11:44
No Child Left Deprived
A young, inner-city public school student named Jaden takes a stand against his principal after the school's art teacher has been fired for choosing to teach art instead of the state-mandated, standardized test.
5:28
Mystical Arts of Tibet
Endorsed by the Dalai Lama as a means of promoting world peace and healing through sacred performing art, the monks of the Drepung Loseling monastery make their return to Madison. UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MADISON
6
Thembi's Diary
A wonderful evocation of a young African's refusal to let AIDS define her life.
5:41
Deep Bonds: People of The Mattaponi
The people of the Mattaponi are connected to their river in more ways than one.
9 min
An Inconvenient Youth - Cancun
Youth activists are exasperated by a lack of action from world leaders regarding climate change.