World Food Day

Learn about the importance of World Food Day, which promotes the #2 UN Sustainable Development Goal -- a world free from hunger and malnutrition.

World Food Day

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Food Day for this film program. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

These hero stories provide inspiring examples of individuals working to end hunger.

Farm2People: Eric Holdener and Anna Hopkins

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Farm2People is a nonprofit that works to deliver produce to food insecure areas of Los Angeles County in the wake of COVID-19.

Frances Moore Lappe

By: Rosemary Pritzker

Frances Moore Lappe, an activist, is passionate about vegetarianism and the fight to end hunger and poverty.

Daniel Goldberg

By: MY HERO Staff
Daniel Goldberg, a Santa Barbara teen, created "Zoomers to Boomers" a collection of Gen Z shoppers who bring groceries to the Boomer generation during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Jon Bon Jovi

By: Staff

The Soul foundation runs two "JBJ Soul Kitchens" in New Jersey. At these nonprofit, community restaurants, diners pay for their "farm-to-table" meals by volunteering or giving a donation.

Marcus Samuelsson

By: Jane Wallace from New York
Marcus Samuelsson is an Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised chef and restaurant owner who focuses on the food needs of the world.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Athletic, Concerned College Students Deliver 626,000+ lbs of Produce to Food Banks in Need" (2020) by The Farm Link Project

Get involved at FarmLink.org

Food Stories for Young Readers - by Young Readers

John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed)

By: Jacob from Westerville
John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) is a much loved American hero and legend.

Listen & Read Along

This story has an audio version for ESL students and the visually impaired!

Listen and Read Along icon

Robin Emmons

By: Sydney from Roseville
Robin Emmons is an organic farmer who has created a foundation to fight hunger.

Posters and Artworks that illustrate the concerns about our food today

Know Your Seafood- Sustainable fish choices

By: One World One Ocean

Hungry? October 16 is World Food Day

By: unknown

Farmers Feeding the World

By: AgWeb

Farmers Feeding the World is an ongoing industry-wide campaign operated by the nonprofit Farm Journal Foundation to rally American agriculture for the war against hunger. 

Zapatista Women, Roots to Resistance Postcard & Poster Campaign

By: Denise Beaudet

Zapatista women resisting the policies of a government (a world really) which spiritually, economically, environmentally and physically disregards and disenfranchises indigenous peoples.

Urban Farmer Will Allen

By: Robert Shetterly, AmericansWhoTelltheTruth.org

Retired basketball player who became an urban farmer is a positive role model

Food Crusader Alice Waters

By: Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

Advocate for children's nutrition and farm to table California chef 

Film

Feed the Future

Natalie Wylie

Illustrates the environmental effects of meat consumption, emphasising the strain it will cause for future generations.

Edible City - Joy Moore

Produced by:Andrew Hasse
Joy Moore, longtime food activist, teaches gardening and nutrition to high schoolers at Berkeley Technology Academy, makes them smoothies, and discusses her views on social justice, food, and education.

Growing a Healthy Community

Produced by:Light House Studio
A documentary about Growing for CHANGE made by students in the Westhaven Community.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"World Food Day 2020" (2020) by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations

http://www.fao.org/world-food-day/hom...

#WorldFoodDay is calling for global solidarity to help all populations, and especially the most vulnerable, to recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and to make food systems more resilient and robust so they can withstand increasing volatility and climate shocks, deliver affordable and sustainable healthy diets for all, and decent livelihoods for food system workers. We are also giving thanks to the world’s #FoodHeroes who, produce, plant, harvest, fish or transport our food. No matter the circumstances, they continue to provide food to their communities and beyond - helping to grow, nourish and sustain our world. Grow, nourish, sustain. Together. Our Actions are our Future.

Food Matters - Trailer

Producer: James Colquhoun & Laurentine ten Bouche
"Let thy Food be thy Medicine and thy Medicine be thy Food." -- Hippocrates

Taaru Askan

Producer: Nicole Dewing and Hamza Azeroual
A 5-minute video on the mission and the activities of Taaru Askan Organic Farm in Senegal, West Africa.

Mother Porridge

Producer: Fary Sakho
MAIMOUNA FALL is known as Mother Porridge in her village in Senegal.

Links

Displays the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) along with ways to achieve them.

UN Sustainable Development Goal 2: Zero Hunger
Credit: UN

"A specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger."

Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN
Credit: FAO

Supplies ways to help during World Hunger Day

UN World Food Day 2019 Activity Book: Eating Healthy Matters
Credit: UN

"[A] mission to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable children, young people, adults and families around the world, with a focus on combating the physical, social and economic impacts of HIV/AIDS."

KCA: Keep A Child Alive
Credit: KCA

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Organizer created on 10/7/2014 8:05:16 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 10/15/2020 11:57:15 AM by Laura Nietzer