SHOWCASE

World Press Freedom Day | May 3

World Press Freedom Day celebrates the right to freedom of opinion and expression including freedom of the press to hold opinions and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Sandi Bachom World Press Freedom Day

2020 Theme

Also known as World Press Day, this year's theme is DEMOCRACY WITHOUT FEAR OR FAVOUR.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Press Freedom Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

My Hero suggested viewing

Video Volunteers | World Press Freedom Day

Stories

These brave journalists of past and present document and share important news to keep the public informed. Only armed with information can society make changes to beat odds, change practices, and uphold the importance of humanity for all.

Sandi Bachom

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Sandi Bachom is a fearless, 75-year-old videographer and MY HERO Film Festival winner who lives in New York City. She is currently covering COVID-19.

Nellie Bly

By: Lauren
Nellie Bly was a pioneer in investigative journalism who went undercover in a mental institution and traveled around the world in a record-breaking 72 days.

Daniel Ellsberg

By: Robert Ellsberg

Daniel Ellsberg is a whistleblower and truth-teller responsible for publishing the Pentagon Papers in the Washington Post.

Chinese 'hero' doctor dies, unleashing public fury at Beijing
Credit: Associated Press

Listen & Read Along

Dan Eldon

By: Wendy Jewell
Dan Eldon inspired Kathy Eldon with his art, his poetry and his life.

Films

May 3 was designated World Press Freedom Day by the United Nations General Assembly, as part of the Declaration of Human Rights: a free press (and hence an informed citizenry) is a human right. 

Thanks to the Whistleblowers

Producer: Dave Puls

A musical tribute to the courage of those who stood up for justice.

Brian Lamb - A Hero for Maintaining Democracy

Producer: McKenna Young

Brian Lamb, the hero behind C-SPAN believes the press has an important role in preserving democracy.

WOJ!

Produced by:by Jeanne Meyers & Wendy Milette
Esther Wojcicki shares her vision for a Moonshot Movement in Education.

Freedom Writers: Stories From an Undeclared War [Trailer]

Produced by:Freedom Writers Foundation
Inspired by their teacher, Erin Gruwell, and the writings of Anne Frank, the students discover a new way to express themselves.

About Dan Eldon

Produced by:Jason Russell
Dan Eldon was a photojournalist who used his creativity to effect positive change for those in need. He was killed while on assignment in Somalia, but his spirit lives on in the Creative Visions Foundation, founded by his mother and sister.

Art depicting journalists who have made sacrifices to report the truth

Robert Shetterly

Produced by:The MY HERO Project

Robert Shetterly created his portrait project American Who Tell the Truth to celebrate those individuals including journalists and whistle blowers, courageous in their words and deeds.

Daniel Ellsberg by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly from Americans Who Tell the Truth
Daniel Ellsberg decided to expose the Pentagon Papers which helped end the Vietnam War.

Irene Fernandez by Tom Block of The Human Rights Painting Project who identified Irene Fernandez as a journalist who reported on human rights abuses

By: Tom Block

Natalia Estemirova was a prominent human rights defender and journalist in the troubled Russian republic of Chechnya

By: Denise Beaudet

Inspired? Tell the world about your hero with our Create tool

Meet Our Curators

The following hero Stories were curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

The stories and artwork above were curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

The above program of short films was curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Links

Learn about a new hero every day of the year with MY HERO Calendar

My Hero Calendar - 365 Days of Heroes revised
Credit: MH

Organizer created on 4/16/2014 6:05:35 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 5/6/2020 5:50:16 PM by Laura Nietzer