Jane Goodall

She turned hope into action.

MY HERO celebrates the compassion, devotion, understanding and wisdom of Jane Goodall - developed through a lifetime studying of humanity's close relative, the chimpanzee.

The world's foremost expert on chimps, Jane established the Jane Goodall Institute: a global community conservation organization. The Institute protects chimps and inspires people to conserve the natural world. A hero to many, she has inspired essays, art, and song from MY HERO's community. Learn more about Jane's work below.

Film

Enjoy films about Jane Goodall.

Visions for the Future [Trailer]

Producer: Robert Rippberger
Visions for the Future is a series about visionaries, their views, and how they’re getting their hands dirty changing the world.

Dream Jane Dream

A song for Jane Goodall by Lori Henriques, Grammy®-Nominated Singer/Songwriter/Producer.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Jane Goodall. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Art

Jane Goodall's heroic actions are memorialized through art. Her compassion for the chimpanzees she observed is depicted by the artwork on the right. On the left, the artist explores thematically how Goodall's work redefined mankind and our connection to the animal kingdom. Both artists honor how her work engineered improvements to the conditions of chimpanzees at zoos and beyond. 

Jane Goodall mural

By: Todd and students from Southwestern college in San Diego

Jane Goodall, May Peace Prevail on Earth

By: Samantha Gamble from the United States (Age 11)

Stories | Jane Goodall Is a Hero to Students Around the World

Enjoy essays inspired by Jane Goodall.

Jane Goodall

By: Avery

"Jane had a love for animals from a young age. Jane cared for animals. She watched the chickens in her family's hen house. Jane loved to read. She mostly read books about African animals."

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall

By: Saba Azimipour

"In the third grade, my class did a project on endangered species. My chosen animal was the chimpanzee, but one can’t really research the chimpanzee without learning about their biggest supporter, Jane Goodall." 

Jane Goodall

By: Issey from Nanjing

"Jane Goodall is a good hero for me because she cares for nature and primates. Most people don’t really care. I believe I could be just like her when I grow up, or maybe I could start now."

Jane Goodall

By: Nina from Poland

"Jane now travels around the world, giving speeches about how important it is not to harm chimpanzees' habitat. She came into the forest with a dream and came out with a mission."

Call to Action | Save the Bees

Help save the bees! Write to your representative. This Call to Action comes from Jane Goodall's Roots and Shoots Foundation, an environmental organization for youth.

https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/actions/5051/tell-congress-to-support-the-saving-americas-pollinators-act

Hero Story by a Middle School Student

Jane Goodall

By: Aamani from Glenbrook Middle School
“Lasting change is a series of compromises” -Jane Goodall

Listen & Read Along

The following story has a link so you can hear the audio as you read. Great for ESL students and the visually impaired!

Jane Goodall

By: Katelyn from DuBois

"My mission is to create a world where we can live in harmony with nature."

Related Pages

International Day of Women and Girls in Science | February 11

By: Xenia Shin
International Day of Women and Girls in Science celebrates women and girls in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

Science Heroes (Sloan Foundation Grant)

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Links

Roots and Shoots - Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is the Jane Goodall Institute’s (JGI) global youth-led community action program, comprised of thousands of young people inspired by Dr. Jane Goodall to make the world a better place.

Jane Goodall Institute - You Tube

Projects from the Roots and Shoots website

The Jane Goodall Institute promotes understanding and protection of great apes and their habitat and builds on the legacy of Dr. Jane Goodall, our founder, to inspire individual action by young people of all ages to help animals, other people and to protect the world we all share.

Jane Goodall Institute

Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom | Discover a New Hero Every Day of the Year

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel.

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Organizer created on 8/27/2016 2:22:02 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 3/11/2024 1:49:57 PM by Abigail Richardson