MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Elementary Students

For Homeschooling and Virtual Education to Enrich Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water

The Ocean We Want To Know

Produced by:Macgillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline.

1. What are 3 or more facts that you learned by watching this video?

2. Create a poster of ocean life. Make sure to label the marine life and plants that live in the ocean.

3. With your family, learn more about: the Great Barrier Reef, Islands created by underwater volcanoes, Mariana Trench or what ever interests you about ocean life.

Untitled

By: Patsee Ober

Patsee Ober uses her underwater camera to illustrate the rich life beneath the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

Students look at this underwater photograph and describe what they see. Be specific about the colors and marine life. This can be done as a writing assignment or students can recreate this photograph in a piece of art. 

Students are encouraged to investigate other underwater life and create an illustration of a healthy ocean ecosystem. 

The Kelp Lady

Produced by:Anabelle Vo

Students watch the film The Kelp Lady featuring marine biologist Nancy Caruso.

Questions and Activity for Students After Watching The Kelp Lady

1. What is a kelp forest and why is it important for ocean health?

2. How does kelp get energy to grow?

3. Students create their own kelp forest using the art medium of their choice. Write a few sentences or a paragraph about your poster. Submit to MY HERO through the Create Program.

Download a print this coloring and activity book to extend elementary student learning about the importance of Kelp as a habitat for marine life. 

Laguna Bluebelt Coloring and Activity Book
Credit: Laguna Bluebelt

Upper Elementary Students: Watch The Last Straw and Consider the Questions

The Last Straw

Produced by: Lynne Cherry

Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. He convinces restaurants to “go straw-free.” 

1. In the film The Last Straw, Milo Cress identified a problem, got others involved and created an action plan. Reflect on the usage of plastic straws in your community. Are there ways you can be inspired by Milo and reduce the use of straws where you live?

2. What detrimental effect has plastic had on the health of our oceans? How has this problem developed over time? What can be done to improve the situation?

3. Identify bodies of water in your community or part of the world. Who is working towards keeping these bodies of water clean and protected? What can you do to help?

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Tutorial for Students to Publish Work in the MY HERO Multimedia Library Using the Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio on MY HERO.

Additional MY HERO Environmental Films Organized by Grade Level, Selected Environmental Films by Category and Sylvia Earl Ocean Conservation Award Winning Films from the MY HERO International Film Festival.

ENVIRONMENTAL FILM SELECTIONS by Grade Level

By: Wendy Milette

These short films are under 10 minutes and feature amazing environmental heroes who are fighting to protect our precious planet.

Green Shorts - Select Environmental Films by Category

By: Wendy Milette

View these outstanding environmental films to learn about heroes who are fighting for the health of our planet.

Ocean Heroes - Short Film Screening

By: Wendy Milette
View the finalist films - 2019 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award!

Additional MY HERO Multimedia Content Related to UN Sustainability Goal #14: Life Below Water

Sustainable Development Goal #14: Life Below Water Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Share the importance of the UN Sustainable Development Goal #14 (Life Below Water).

Environmental Education Resources

Subject: Oceans! This model environmental science curriculum is K-12 Common Core aligned and based on the partnership of many ocean conservation organizations. Each sub category includes short films and lessons with suggested age levels. Teachers Resource Guide included.

Organizer created on 3/17/2020 9:42:05 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 3/17/2020 9:46:50 AM by Laura Nietzer