Universal Childrens Day

November 20

United Nations Universal Children’s Day is celebrated on November 20, to bring awareness of children's rights and to create a better world for children in the future. It was established in 1954 to "promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children's welfare." 

On November 20, 1959, the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child. It is also the date in 1989 when the UN General assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Since 1990, Universal Children's Day also marks the anniversary of the date that the UN General Assembly adopted both the declaration and the convention on children's rights.

Free the Children - WE Charity

Producer: Free the Children
WE Charity carries the power of WE globally, empowering communities to lift themselves out of poverty through our holistic, sustainable international development model, Free The Children’s WE Villages.

Stories

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace
Malala Yousafzai speaks out for the rights of girls to have an education.

Vivienne Harr

By: Sue Glader
Vivienne Harr founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Ana Dodson

Ana Dodson formed Peruvian Hearts to provide Peruvian orphans an education.

Nkosi Johnson

By: MY HERO
Nkosi Johnson was an orphan infected by HIV who spoke out on behalf of children with AIDS.

Ryan Hreljac

By: Wendy Jewell
Ryan Hreljac helps build wells for clean water in Africa.

Craig Kielburger

By: Jerrilyn Jacobs
Craig Kielburger believes kids can change the world.

Hannah Taylor

By: Madison from Canada
Hannah Taylor started the Ladybug Foundation to help the homeless in her community.

Austin Gutwein

By: Lindsey from Palmer, Massachusetts
Austin Gutwein founded Hoops of Hope.

Sadako Sasaki

By: Amanda E. from Derry NH
Sadako Sasaki inspired an international peace movement.

Amy Biehl

By: Stephanie Cole
Amy Biehl gave her life to ending apartheid in South Africa.

Bethany Hamilton

By: Tyler H. from Sycamore Jr. High
Never Give Up

Art

Sadako Sasaki

By: Saint George
Sadako Sasaki was a Japanese girl who was two years old when an American atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, near her home next to the Misasa Bridge.

Black History - Nkosi Johnson

By: Saint George
Nkosi Johnson was a South African child with HIV/AIDS, who made a powerful impact on public perceptions of the pandemic and its effects before his death at the age of 12. He was ranked fifth amongst SABC3's Great South Africans.

Samantha Smith

Samantha Reed Smith (June 29, 1972 – August 25, 1985) was an American schoolgirl from Manchester, Maine, who became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" in the United States and the "Goodwill Ambassador" in the Soviet Union during her short lifetime.

She wrote : "If we could be friends by just getting to know each other better, then what are our countries really arguing about? Nothing could be more important than not having a war if a war could kill everything."

Grade school student and peace activist, (1972 - 1985) Samantha was just 10 years old when she wrote the premier of the Soviet Union to ask him about his intentions for waging war. Yuri Andropov invited her to visit the Soviet Union and the success of her trip launched a 3 year odyssey of traveling the world, advocating for peace. Tragically, she and her father were killed in a plane wreck while returning home after one of their numerous peace missions.

Iqbal Masih

Human rights hero Iqbal Masih freed children from slavery. His goal has inspired children and adults to become involved in his mission to end child slavery. He would give speeches about child slavery and how it was wrong.

He was the symbol of abusive child labor in Pakistan and other developing nations. He was assassinated for speaking up for children enslaved in his country.He received The World's Children's Honorary Award 2000 posthumously, for his struggle for the rights of debt slave children. 

Film

Vivienne

Producer: Diane Namm
Young Vivienne Harr was deeply affected by the story of children suffering from human trafficking. So she founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Right To Play [Excerpt]

Producer: Frank Marshall
Olympian Johann Olav Koss embarked on a remarkable journey to use sports to improve the lives of African children.

MY HERO Report II - Sidibay

Producer: Mohamed Sidibay Reporter <br> Skip Blumberg Produc...
Mohamed Sidibay was once forced to be a child soldier. He is now a youth reporter for MY HERO and he is committed to making a difference in the world.

Audio

Organizer created on 11/17/2012 11:19:09 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 11/21/2018 4:30:50 AM by Jeanne Meyers