Universal Children's Day

Universal Children’s Day is celebrated on November 20 to bring awareness of children's rights and to create a better world for children.

Credit: UN Photo: Manuel Elias

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Universal Children's Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Film

Watch the following films about children's rights activists.

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald
HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

Free the Children - WE Charity

Producer: Free the Children

"WE Charity carries the power of WE globally, empowering communities to lift themselves out of poverty through our holistic, sustainable international development model, Free The Children’s WE Villages."

Right To Play [Excerpt]

Producer: Frank Marshall
Olympian Johann Olav Koss embarked on a remarkable journey to use sports to improve the lives of African children.

Vivienne

Producer: Diane Namm

Young Vivienne Harr was deeply affected by the story of children suffering from human trafficking. So she founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise funds for organizations that fight child slavery.

These heroes, past and present, uplift the voices of their communities through action.

OutSwing [Trailer]

By: Samar Minallah Khan
On the outskirts of Islamabad, a committed coach teaches a team of unlikely players, their families, and a community how playing Cricket can change lives.

Interview with Youth Activist Sophie Healy-Thow

Kitty Richardson

Greta Thunberg

By: Xenia Shin
Climate Activist and Leader of the Global Youth Climate Movement

Mohamed Sidibay: Teaching Peace

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide.

Emma González

By: Nikki F.

Emma González survived the Parkland High School shooting and successfully fought for improved gun legislation in Florida.

Slater Unstoppable

Produced by:MY HERO
Director Slater Jewell Kemker is a filmmaker and environmental activist whose films document the environmental youth movement.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

Malala Yousafzai Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer
Multimedia curated teacher resource with discussion questions and learning outcomes. MY HERO celebrates the courage and strong principles of this young student from Pakistan who taught the world how to take a stand against injustice. Malala was born July 12, 1997.

Nkosi Johnson

By: MY HERO
Nkosi Johnson was an orphan infected by HIV who spoke out on behalf of children with AIDS.

Listen & Read Along

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison
One of the most important heroes in the fight against segregation in America was a six-year-old girl, Ruby Nell Bridges.

Vivienne Harr

By: Sue Glader

Vivienne Harr founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise funds for organizations that fight child slavery.

Ana Dodson

Ana Dodson formed Peruvian Hearts to provide Peruvian orphans an education.

Did you know?

On November 20, 1959, the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child. 

Art

Artists celebrate the activism and determination of children to lead society in the right direction.

Sadako Sasaki

By: Saint George
Sadako Sasaki was a Japanese girl who was two years old when an American atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, near her home next to the Misasa Bridge.

Iqbal Masih

By: by Sydney from Laguna Beach

Iqbal Masih was a Pakistani Christian boy who became a symbol of abusive child labour in the developing world.

Malala

By: Marilyn Huerta

Malala, the young activist who champions girls' education worldwide, is painted here by Marilyn Huerta.

Samantha Smith

By: by Robert Shetterly

Samantha Reed Smith was an American girl who became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" in the United States and the "Goodwill Ambassador" in the Soviet Union during her short lifetime.

She wrote : "If we could be friends by just getting to know each other better, then what are our countries really arguing about? Nothing could be more important than not having a war if a war could kill everything."

Grade school student and peace activist, (1972 - 1985) Samantha was just 10 years old when she wrote the premier of the Soviet Union to ask him about his intentions for waging war. Yuri Andropov invited her to visit the Soviet Union and the success of her trip launched a 3 year odyssey of traveling the world, advocating for peace. Tragically, she and her father were killed in a plane wreck while returning home after one of their numerous peace missions.