Press_Release

MY HERO PEACE DAY CELEBRATION AT PALO ALTO HIGH

by Jeanne Meyers from Laguna Beach, California in United States

128317Peace Day 2018MY HEROCONTACT:                                                                 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jeanne Meyers
Co-Founder/Director
The MY HERO Project
[email protected]
949-376-5964

MY HERO PRESENTS A PEACE DAY CELEBRATION AT PALO ALTO HIGH 

SEPTEMBER 19, 2018 - LAGUNA BEACH, CA - The MY HERO Team will travel to the Bay Area this week to present an International Day of Peace Celebration at Palo Alto High School. The event takes place on September 21, also known as International Peace Day, a holiday sanctioned by the United Nations.

The KEYNOTE Speaker for the Peace Day Celebration will be Dr. James Doty, Professor of Neurosurgery and Director of Stanford University medical school’s Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education. With a foot in both the physical and spiritual worlds, Doty is listed as one of America’s Top Surgeons (2005-2018) by Consumer's Research Council of America. He is also the former chair of the Dalai Lama Foundation and is a Senior Advisory Board Member for the Council for the Parliament of World’s Religions. 

128313James R. Doty M.D.James DotyDoty is author of the New York Times bestseller Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon's Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart. The books follows Doty’s life-long quest to study the link between the heart and the brain.

MY HERO Ambassador Mohamed Sidibay will share a video message about the events that transformed his life from child soldier to leading advocate for the right of all children to quality education. 

128314MY HERO Ambassador Mohamed SidibayMY HEROArtist and peace activist Ron Kovic, whose story was depicted in his autobiographic novel Born on the Fourth of July, will be recognized in a short film honoring his work for peace. Kovic was paralyzed from the chest down in Vietnam and, since the war, has since been an outspoken advocate for peace. Filmmaker Oliver Stone adapted Kovic’s novel in 1986 and won an Academy Award for directing.

In addition, Ron Kovic sponsors the “RON KOVIC PEACE PRIZE” in the MY HERO International Film Festival. This annual award honors a filmmaker whose work calls attention on people working for peaceful solutions to problems in the world. The MY HERO PEACE DAY event will include a showcase of winning short films from the Ron Kovic Peace Prize.

128316Ron KovicMY HEROMY HERO is grateful for the invitation to present a PEACE DAY program at Paly from educator Esther Wojcicki, the head of the Palo Alto journalism department, who is known for creating extraordinary experiences for her students. Wojcicki is the author of Moonshots in Education: Blended Learning in the Classroom, a book that examines how the educational process is enhanced by digital learning. Esther is also the recipient of the 2016 MY HERO Global Educator award in the MY HERO International Film Festival.

View a short film about Esther Wojcicki

The Peace Day celebration is a private event designed to provide an opportunity for the school’s young journalists and activists to join in a conversation about the importance of peace and compassion in the world.

Details of the Peace Day event

MY HERO has created a film resource for other schools to bring PEACE DAY into their classrooms.

Explore MY HERO's Peace Day resource