Press_Release

UNLADYLIKE2020 WINS THE 2020 EVA HALLER WOMEN TRANSFORMING MEDIA AWARD

by Xenia Shin from United States

CONTACT: Wendy Milette                                                            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                 
Director of Media 
The MY HERO Project 
[email protected]
949-376-5964

Innovative doc series about women who challenged gender roles wins coveted award at the MY HERO International Film Festival

JANUARY 7, 2021 - LAGUNA BEACH, CA -  – “UNLADYLIKE2020,” a documentary series celebrating American women who broke the rules wins the 2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media (WTM) Award. Eva Haller, sponsor of the award, praised the series and confessed to watching them many, many times “because they touched me so much.” 

An episode on Bessie Coleman epitomized the series for Haller. Coleman flouted the American aviation schools that rejected her for being an African-/Native-American woman by getting an international pilot license and captivating audiences with her daredevil stunts. “It is about the courage, the history, the joy of achieving something that is not achievable,” said Haller.

UNLADYLIKE2020 directors/producers Sandra Rattley (left) and Charlotte Mangin (right) accepting the Eva Haller WTM Award at the 2020 MY HERO International Film Festival Virtual Awards Ceremony.

Directors Charlotte Mangin and Sandra Rattley, who have a long and distinguished history producing visionary projects for public broadcasting, received the award at the MY HERO International Film Festival’s virtual awards ceremony. Mangin said: “I dreamed not only of bringing back to life the heroic stories of unsung women in US history, but also of transforming the look and feel of historical documentary films, so it’s truly a dream come true to have both efforts recognized.” The series, made for PBS “American Masters,” is narrated by acclaimed actors Julianna Margulies and Lorraine Toussaint.

Haller awarded $5,000 to five winners this year. “Eva is my hero,” said MY HERO Project Director Jeanne Meyers. “She’s my friend, a Holocaust survivor, a lover of art and pro-democracy activist, and we’re very grateful to her.”

Eva Haller, sponsor of the Eva Haller WTM Award (left), and Jeanne Meyers, co-founder and director of The MY HERO Project, at the 2020 MY HERO International Film Festival Virtual Awards Ceremony.

The Eva Haller WTM Award is awarded at The MY HERO International Film Festival, now in its 17th year. Haller established the award to recognize and support filmmakers telling women’s stories. “The award is only in its second year and just getting its legs,” said WTM lead Xenia Shin, “but I was thrilled that we received so many unforgettably beautiful and strong submissions. Looking forward to the future.”

The MY HERO Project is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. To see all the winners:

https://myhero.com/eva-haller-wtm-award

For additional information, contact the MY HERO Media Director Wendy Milette at [email protected].