Films

MY HERO thanks Charlotte Mangin and Sandra Rattley, creators of the UNLADYLIKE2020 series, for giving us permission to embed this video. Winner of the 2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media award, UNLADYLIKE202 is a series of 26 short films and a one-hour documentary profiling diverse and little-known American women from the turn of the 20th century, and contemporary women who follow in their footsteps. The series premiered on PBS’s American Masters in honor of the centennial of women's suffrage, and is narrated by acclaimed actors Julianna Margulies and Lorraine Toussaint.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Ynes Mexia

Ynés Mexía (1870-1938) began her scientific career late in life. The U.S. born-Mexican American joined the Sierra Club and the budding environmental movement in San Francisco in the 1910s. At age 51 she enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley, where she discovered her interest in botany. She subsequently led expeditions across Mexico, Central America, and South America, becoming one of the most accomplished plant collectors of her time. She spent two-and-half years traveling some 3,000 miles along the Amazon River from its delta to its source in the Andes Mountains. In a 13-year career as a specimen collector for botanical institutions around the U.S, she discovered over 500 new species of plants, of which 50 are named in her honor.

Directed by: Charlotte Mangin, Sandra Rattley | Produced by: Charlotte Mangin, Sandra Rattley | Narrated by: Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife, ER, Billions | “Voice of Ynes Mexia”: Maria Hinojosa (Latino USA) | 2020 | United States | 9:18

Interviewees: biographer Durlynn Anema, author of The Perfect Specimen: The 20th Century Renown Botanist YnesMexia; ethnobotanist Ina Vandebroek, Associate Curator and Caribbean Program Director for the New York Botanical Garden.