Films
Thank you Charlotte Mangin and Sandra Rattley, creators of the UNLADYLIKE2020 series, for permission to embed this video on MY HERO. Winner of the 2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media award, UNLADYLIKE2020 is a series of 26 short films and a one-hour documentary profiling diverse and little-known American women from the turn of the 20th century, and contemporary women who follow in their footsteps. The series premiered on PBS’s American Masters in honor of the centennial of women's suffrage, and is narrated by acclaimed actors Julianna Margulies and Lorraine Toussaint.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Margaret Chung

Directed by: Charlotte Mangin, Sandra Rattley | Produced by: Charlotte Mangin, Sandra Rattley | Narrated by: Lorraine Toussaint (Selma, Orange is the New Black, The Glorias). “Voice of Margaret Chung”: Lisa Ling (This Is Life) | 2020 | United States | 10:18

Interviewees: biographer Judy Tzu-Chun Wu, Professor of Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine and author of Doctor Mom Chung of the Fair-Haired Bastards; Esther Choo, emergency medicine doctor and researcher at Oregon Health & Science University, Co-Founder of Equity Quotient and Founding Member of Time’s Up Healthcare

Margaret Chung (1889-1959), the eldest of 11 children in a Chinese immigrant family graduated from the University of Southern California Medical School in 1916, making her the first American-born Chinese female doctor. As a student, she was the only woman in her class, dressed in masculine clothing, and called herself ‘Mike.’ Chung was initially denied residencies and internships in hospitals, but went on to become an emergency surgeon in Los Angeles, which was extremely unusual for women at the time. In the early 1920s, she helped establish the first Western hospital in San Francisco’s Chinatown, and led its OB/GYN and pediatrics unit, and she treated the local Chinese American community along with various celebrities as a surgeon in her private practice. She became a prominent behind-the-scenes political broker during World War II, establishing a network of thousands of men in the military and navy, that referred to her as ‘Mom Chung’ and themselves as her ‘fair-haired bastards.’ Chung also helped establish WAVES, Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Services, the women’s branch of the naval reserves during World War II, which helped pave the way for women’s integration into the U.S armed forces, though she was rejected from serving in it herself, likely because of her race and her sexuality. Interviewees: biographer Judy Tzu-Chun Wu, Professor of Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine and author of Doctor Mom Chung of the Fair-Haired Bastards; Esther Choo, emergency medicine doctor and researcher at Oregon Health & Science University, Co-Founder of Equity Quotient and Founding Member of Time’s Up Healthcare.