Earth Day Lesson Plan

Curated teacher's resource. Share the importance of protecting the earth with your students. Classroom activity focusing on eco heroes in observance of Earth Day.

Laura Nietzer

The following Earth Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer, and features eco heroes.

Students watch this film and then consider discussion questions.           (9 minutes running time)

Intro

Earth Day was established in 1970 with teach-ins and demonstrations, to focus attention on the protection of the earth. It has been called the birth of the modern environmental movement. Earth Day was established in 1970 with teach-ins and demonstrations, to focus attention on the protection of the earth. It has been called the birth of the modern environmental movement.

Almost half a century later, Earth Day has become more important than ever. Scientific research has shown that human activity causes environmental emergencies such as global warming, plastic pollution, water scarcity, reduction of plant and wildlife populations, deforestation, habitat loss, trafficking and poaching, unsustainable agriculture, pollution, pesticides, and more.

The following MY HERO pages feature eco heroes who are protecting the earth for future generations, and creating a cleaner, greener future.

Mother of All Rivers

Producer: Produced by: Will Parrinello / Directed by: Will Parrinello

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

Students read curated stories about individuals who have made a difference in their environment and consider the discussion questions. 

Olivia Bouler

By: Betty Bailey
Olivia Bouler Olivia created 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue.

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe

Wangari Maathai inspired women villagers

to fight deforestation in Kenya. 

Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo

By: Wisnu from Surabaya
Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo educated people in Indonesia to protect the environment.

MacGillivray Family

MacGillivray Family founded the non-profit

MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation.

Discussion Questions:

1. How are these environmentalists examples that an ordinary person can make a difference?

2. What character traits do these individuals share?

3. How are these environmental issues still relevant today?

4. What environmental issues are you motivated to work towards improving? What can you do?

Outcome

After having a discussion about these individuals and the positive impact they made for the environment, students will have a deeper understanding of the importance of protecting the environment and how one person can make a difference, hopefully being inspired to address an environmental issue important to their own lives. 

Teachers: Visit our Earth Day organizer for more curated content featuring eco heroes. 

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 3/14/2019 12:01:43 AM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 4/26/2019 3:17:47 PM by Laura Nietzer