LESSON PLAN

Earth Day Lesson Plan

Curated teacher's resource. Share the importance of protecting the earth with your students. Classroom activity focusing on eco heroes in observance of Earth Day.

Students watch this film and then consider discussion questions.           (9 minutes running time)

Mother of All Rivers

Producer: Produced by: Will Parrinello / Directed by: Will Parrinello

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

Students read curated stories, watch short films and analyze art about individuals who have made a difference in their environment and consider the discussion questions. 

Read the story and watch the film to learn about Olivia who was inspired to make a difference after an oil spill.

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

Young Olivia loves birds, and creates over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue.

Olivia Bouler

By: Betty Bailey

Olivia Bouler Olivia raised funds for Audubon's bird rescue. This story has text with audio so students can listen as they read along. 

Read the following story about Wangari Maathai, the founder of the Green Belt Movement. Then analyze her portrait done by a high school student. 

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe

Wangari Maathai inspired women villagers

to fight deforestation in Kenya. 

Wangari Maathai by Guinevere D from Henrietta, NY

By: Guinevere Devlin

Portrait of Kenyan environmental and women's activist Wangari Maathai

Read one or all of the following stories to learn about Environmental Activists and consider the Discussion Questions. 

Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo

By: Wisnu from Surabaya

Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo educated people in Indonesia to protect the environment.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff

On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Leonardo DiCaprio

By: Nadine Bader

Leonardo DiCaprio is an award-winning actor who is considered one of the most active celebrities involved in the climate change movement.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

By: Wendy Jewell

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is an eco-warrior defending the earth for future generations.

The following stories about founding voices in the Environmental Movement are available with text and audio allowing students to listen as they read along. 

Rachel Carson

By: Wendy Jewell

Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, was the mother of the environmental movement.

John Muir

By: Harold W. Wood, Jr.

John Muir advocated preservation, feeling that natural areas promote mental health.

Discussion Questions:

1. How are these environmentalists examples that an ordinary person can make a difference?

2. What character traits do these individuals share?

3. How are these environmental issues still relevant today?

4. What environmental issues are you motivated to work towards improving? What can you do?

Outcome

After having a discussion about these individuals and the positive impact they made for the environment, students will have a deeper understanding of the importance of protecting the environment and how one person can make a difference, hopefully being inspired to address an environmental issue important to their own lives. 

Elementary School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

For Homeschooling and Virtual Education to Enrich Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water: Activities Included

Environmental Film Selections for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Students watch a selection of curated films from the MY HERO Multimedia Library to enhance learning at home and school.

Middle School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Environmental Films Selections for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

High School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

For Homeschooling and Virtual Education to Enrich Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water: Research Activities Included

Environmental Film Selections for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Students analyze the following two posters about protecting the environment and consider creating your own environmental poster to submit to the MY HERO Art Gallery. 

Protect Sacred Waters by Ernesto Yerena- Amplifier

By: Ernesto Yerena

This poster for the Amplifier Foundation represents artist Ernesto Yerena's commitment to Native American heritage, issues and sacred lands

Protect the Sacred by Shepard Fairey for Amplifier

By: Shepard Fairey

Artist Shepard Fairey of Obey Art has created many posters for the Amplifier Foundation as well as being instrumental in initiating the Kickstarter campaign to get the Amplifier Foundation off the ground.

Laura Nietzer

The Earth Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 3/14/2019 12:01:43 AM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 4/30/2020 2:09:04 PM by Laura Nietzer