LESSON PLAN

Earth Day Lesson Plan

Students read curated stories, watch short films and analyze art about individuals who have made a difference in their environment, and consider the discussion questions. 

Earth Day Lesson Plan

"Words Have Power" Film and Lesson Plans Organized by Grade Level

Inspire Students - Watch the film Words Have Power and learn how 10-year-old Jaysa rallied the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power!”

Included are the Young Voices for the Planet Lesson Plans Organized by Grade Level - focusing on social justice, leadership and empowerment. 

Words Have Power Social Justice Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Read the story and watch the film to learn about Olivia who was inspired to make a difference after an oil spill.

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

Young Olivia loves birds, and creates over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue.

Olivia Bouler

By: Betty Bailey

Olivia raised funds for Audubon's bird rescue. This story has text with audio so students can listen as they read along. 

Learn about Wangari Maathai, founder of the Greenbelt Movement, through story and film.

Wangari Maathai Tribute Film

Produced by:Collaborative Partnership on Forests

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe
Wangari Maathai was an environmental activist and Nobel laureate who founded the Green Belt movement.

Films About Environmental Heroes Making a Difference in Their Own Communities 

Mother of All Rivers

Producer: Produced by: Will Parrinello / Directed by: Will Parrinello

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

Taking Root

Produced by:Michelle Law
In a small farming area outside the city, Mr. Loi, a local farmer, discovers the techniques of chemical-free farming.

My Toxic Reality

Produced by:Tom Dusenbery
Hilton Kelley is tired of seeing his community ravaged by pollution from oil refineries. He and his fellow citizens demand change.

Upstanders: The Kids Who Killed an Incinerator

Produced by:Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran [Starbucks]
The high school students who battled a giant incinerator — and won.

For Additional Environmental Films Organized by Grade Level, Click Here

Stories About Environmental Activists

Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo

By: Wisnu from Surabaya

Suryo Wardhoyo Prawiroatmodjo educated people in Indonesia to protect the environment.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff

On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Leonardo DiCaprio

By: Nadine Bader

Leonardo DiCaprio is an award-winning actor who is considered one of the most active celebrities involved in the climate change movement.

Dr. Vandana Shiva

By: David Kemker

Dr. Vandana Shiva works to preserve biodiversity for the planet.

Listen and Read Along: The Following Stories Have Text and Audio

Rachel Carson

By: Wendy Jewell

Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, was the mother of the environmental movement.

John Muir

By: Harold W. Wood, Jr.

John Muir advocated preservation, feeling that natural areas promote mental health.

Discussion Questions:

1. How are these environmentalists living examples that an ordinary person can make a difference?

2. What character traits do these individuals share?

3. How are these environmental issues still relevant today?

4. What environmental issues are you motivated to work towards improving? What can you do?

Learning Outcome

After having a discussion about these individuals and the positive impact they made on the environment, students will have a deeper understanding of the importance of protecting the environment and how one person can make a difference and become inspired to address an environmental issue important to their own lives. 

Posters About Protecting the Environment: Students Consider Creating Your Own Environmental Poster to Submit to MY HERO

Protect Sacred Waters

By: Ernesto Yerena

This poster for the Amplifier Foundation represents artist Ernesto Yerena's commitment to Native American heritage, issues and sacred lands

Stop Fracking Stop Drilling

By: Gregg Deal

Protect the Sacred

By: Shepard Fairey for Amplifier

Artist Shepard Fairey of Obey Art has created many posters for the Amplifier Foundation and has been instrumental in the Kickstarter campaign to get the Amplifier Foundation off the ground.

Portraits of Two Environmental Heroes

Wangari Maathai by Guinevere D from Henrietta, NY

By: Guinevere Devlin

Aldo Leopold

By: Robert Shetterly

Murals

Cousteau

By: Art Miles Mural Painters

Environment - Life in the Clean Water and Air

By: Yasutomikita Elementary School in Japan and W.H. Day Elementary School in Ca...

Elementary School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

For Homeschooling and Virtual Education to Enrich Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water: Activities Included

Environmental Film Selections for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Students watch a selection of curated films from the MY HERO Multimedia Library to enhance learning at home and school.

The Importance of Clean Water Around the World: Resources for Younger Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Resources for both younger and upper elementary students that highlight the need for access to fresh water for all, as well as keeping water free from pollution. Resources are connected to Sustainable Development Goals #6 Clean Water and Sanitation and #14 Life Below Water.

Middle School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Environmental Films Selections for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

High School: Environmental and Ocean Conservation Films

Environmental Film Selections for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Ocean Conservation Efforts Lesson Plans, Activities and Resources for High School

By: Laura Nietzer

Celebrate the Best of Humanity Working on Ocean Conservation:Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water

Jane Goodall Lesson Plan
Credit: Jane Goodall Institute
International Day of Biodiversity Lesson Plan
Wangari Maathai Lesson Plan
Credit: Kingkongphoto | www.celebrity-photos.com from Laurel MD, USA
World Environment Day Lesson Plan

Laura Nietzer

The Earth Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Links

Organizer created on 3/14/2019 12:01:43 AM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 4/10/2021 9:51:55 AM by Laura Nietzer