International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Artwork

Holocaust Remembrance through Art submitted to the Gallery

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Holocaust Remembrance Day Lesson Plan. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

"The International Holocaust Memorial Day on January 27th commemorates the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest and one of the most deadly of the Nazi death camps, on that day in 1945. Over one million people, mostly Jews, were killed in Auschwitz. Six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust. Eleven million human beings across political, social, national, and religious lines, were killed as victims of Nazi persecution. Seventy-five years later, we reflect back on humanity’s worst impulses—Yet in choosing to commemorate the liberation of the camp alongside recalling the suffering that took place in it, the historical moment reminds us that we should persist toward hope and justice, and that it is in our power to fight against such evil—and to win." - Deb Donig, Assistant Professor of English Literature, Cal Poly

Holocaust Remembrance through Art Submitted to the Gallery by the MY HERO Community

Man Reaching for a Star

By: Morris Louis
Man Reaching For A Star is an abstract painting by Morris Louis's Charred.

Sam Goldofsky, Survivor of Auschwitz

By: David Kassan
Portrait of Sam Goldofsky by artist David Kassan (2015).

One Spring

By: Karl Robert Bodek, Kurt Conrad Löw
In "One Spring", artist Yad Vashem depicts a concentration camp framed by barbed wire.

Terezin, Opera Performance in Attic

By: Norbert Troller
Painting by artist Norbert Troller.

Anne Frank by student Natalie of Laguna Beach HS

By: Natalie of Laguna Beach High School
Anne Frank is a symbol of the 6 million lives lost in WWII that we can never forget

Illustration for Raja's Story

By: Doug Miller

Raja Weksler saved her daughter, Susie Weksler, and many other people during the holocaust. These illustrations are by Doug Miller to accompany the MY HERO story about this Holocaust hero.

Anne Frank

By: Anna Sponer

Anne Frank still believed that people were truly good and this portrait shows her innocence and her belief in ideals despite being tragically targeted in the Holocaust

Oskar Schindler

By: Cade Adkins from Jasper

Oskar Schindler was a German industrialist who became an ally of Jewish people, despite the threat that he engendered as a result of his personal actions

Gerda Klein by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Portrait of Holocaust survivor and advocate Gerda Klein as a young girl by Marilyn Huerta. Klein and her husband established a foundation to fight poverty and homelessness 

Submit a piece of artwork honoring a Holocaust hero through the create program. 

Use the Create Program to Publish Orignal Artwork Student Tutorial Link

Related Pages

International Holocaust Day | Voices of Survivors

By: MY HERO Staff
International Holocaust Day is observed to inscribe the atrocities of the Holocaust into our hearts and our history. To that end it is important to hear the testimony of the survivors of the Holocaust.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Helpers Resisters

By: MY HERO Staff
Honoring those who fought, resisted and helped others during the Holocaust.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Text With Audio

By: Laura Nietzer
Let us never forget the Holocaust. These stories all have text with an audio link allowing students to listen as they read along.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Films

By: Laura Nietzer
First hand accounts of the Holocaust through films.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day

By: MY HERO Staff
January 27

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Heroes Working to Stop Future Genocide

By: MY HERO Staff
Heroes Working to Stop Future Genocide

Anne Frank & Miep Gies

By: Erin Gruwell

Anne Frank & Miep Gies are heroes to Freedom Writers founder and teacher, Erin Gruwell.

Righteous Conversations - MEDIA Award

Produced by:Righteous Conversations Project
Righteous Conversations Project mentors youth to tell stories that promote tolerance.

The Righteous Conversations Project

Links

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Credit: USHMM
Echoes and Reflections Holocaust Teacher Resources for Middle and High School
Credit: Echoes and Reflections
International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
Credit: International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance

MY HERO Calendars for use in the Classroom

MY HERO's Teachers Calendar Features Lesson Plans and Multimedia Resources

Teachers Calendar

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 12/20/2019 12:17:33 AM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 1/2/2024 2:18:00 PM by Laura Nietzer