ORGANIZER

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES

GAIN VALUABLE WORK EXPERIENCE WHILE SPREADING THE MY HERO MISSION THROUGH OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

MY HERO is a non-profit educational project whose mission is to use media, art and technology to celebrate the best of humanity. Former interns mentored by MY HERO have gone on to become Fulbright scholars, activists, filmmakers, and TED Fellows. We believe learning about heroes helps us realize the power of an individual to change the world.

We are very interested in stories, art, audio files and films that represent young and old heroes alike working for positive change in the world. We are interested in stories that honor those working for racial and social justice, artists, scientists, human rights and environmental activists.

2021 Interns

Apply HERE

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:

Journalism Intern 

MY HERO is always looking for journalism interns to create and improve heartfelt and inspirational stories about local and global heroes. We are particularly interested in increasing our content about current activists and environmentalists who promote equality and diversity. 

Qualifications Required: Graphic skills, Writing skills, Social Media skills, Website skills.

Find Out More: Resources and Guidelines for MY HERO Interns and Stories from Previous Interns. 

Film Festival Intern 

Every year, The MY HERO International Film Festival showcases short films that promote heroism and activism. The Film Festival Intern will help to produce this online event. Duties include finding and inviting films to the festival. Promotion of the winning films and sponsor and media outreach. Creating and editing videos for MY HERO. Some social media outreach on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This is an unpaid internship, but academic credit is a possibility. 

Qualifications Required: Technically savvy. Adobe software, Microsoft office capable. Outgoing personality and flexible attitude to help with what is needed.

Find out More: MY HERO Film Festival Intern Tasks

Art Intern

Are you an artist or interested in the history of art? MY HERO is always looking for individuals to either create their own original art or curate that of others that celebrate local and global heroes. Duties include assisting with the curation of featured artists/theme day/showcase content, researching, developing and gaining permission to exhibit artworks from museums and/or other areas, creating content on artists and artworks for social media and researching potential art features for the MY HERO Calendar content.

Qualifications Required: An interest in Art, Graphic skills, Social Media skills, Website skills.

Find Out More: St George Thompson is a digital media production artist, animator and illustrator who has been a contributor to MY HERO since 2005.

Media Arts Intern 

This is for students who are interested in media arts – designing or curating artwork through technology, including virtual art, computer graphics, computer animation, digital art, interactive art, sound art and Internet art. Duties include assisting in creating & developing promotional materials for contests/showcases, researching & creating marketing content and art-related social media posts and maintaining the Gallery’s social media presence, developing innovative strategies to help increase the Gallery’s exposure & traffic and assisting with the design of fliers, graphics, site banners & story visuals and/or illustrations.

Qualifications Required: A passion for Art, Graphic skills, Social Media skills, Website skills.

Find Out More: Check out our Digital Art Imagery here: MY HERO Digital Images

Audio Intern

Our audio portal has over 600 stories but we would like to expand this by recording more current MY HERO stories and by finding new content. Audio Interns will develop their skills through archival audio research, publishing their own work, and by inviting professionals and students to submit their recordings of music, poetry and readings.

Qualifications Required: Audio Skills, Graphic skills, Social Media skills, Website skills.

Find Out More: Watch this film and meet Stu Pearlman, MY HERO’s Audio Manager: MEET STU

Apply HERE

MY HERO INTERN ALUMNI

Intern Alumni

To find out how other students have utilized MY HERO to further their passions, check out the work of:

Mohamed Sidibay - Law graduate, Mohamed Sidibay was once forced to be a child soldier, he then became a youth reporter for MY HERO, committed to making a difference in the world. Said Mohamed: “In a world where the media sensationalizes violence, the importance of organizations like MY HERO cannot be understated. MY HERO came at a time in my life when my world was in complete disarray. Unable to understand the world outside of the one I had grown up in, MY HERO taught me the true meaning of life by empowering me through the use of media and storytelling.”

Geeta Malik - Geeta is now a feature film director but her passion for film began when she interned with MY HERO: "After being behind the camera for MY HERO, I realized I loved telling stories through film, so I decided to go to film school. I received my M.F.A. in Producing/Directing from UCLA, and made several short films that have played in festivals around the world."

Gabrielle Gorman -  Gabrielle is a hugely successful film writer, producer, director, and activist was the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree who went on to study filmmaking at UCLA.

Slater Jewell-Kemker - Slater is an award-winning director who has introduced her generation to the international youth climate movement. Slater grew up as a youth reporter for the MY HERO Project. On this journey, she discovered her passion for filmmaking and continues to use media for expressing her activist voice.

Trey Carlisle - Trey won the 2016 Emerging Artist Award and is now a successful Actor and Director. Watch Trey's film HERE explaining how MY HERO has been an inspiration and 'a gift' to his life. 

St George Thompson - St George is an incredibly talented digital media production artist, animator and illustrator who has been a contributor to MY HERO since 2005. 

Kayla Briet - Kayla was introduced to MY HERO when she won an award at the 2014 Film Festival; she went on to be awarded the MY HERO Emerging Artist Award in 2015. See more here: myhero.com/wtm-kayla-briet

Kitty Richardson - Kitty is an award-winning singer-songwriter who has created multiple content for MY HERO and is now hosting and editing the Eva Haller Salon Series. She writes prolifically and can be found on Spotify.

Sebastian Ruiz  - Sebastian was a journalism intern from San Francisco State University with majors in microbiology and English literature.

Robin Venter - Robin worked for MY HERO during 2021, curating art for the gallery.

Jessica Ordaz – Jessica is an artist and writer from Woodbury University. She has a BFA in Animation with a minor in Professional Writing. During her internship, Jessica organized concept art on the shared server, created animated intros, biographies, and short films.

Apply HERE

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER OPPORTUNITIES, VISIT OUR STUDENTS' ROOM

Organizer created on 1/18/2022 6:52:04 AM by Abigail Richardson

Last edited 4/27/2023 9:53:29 AM by Abigail Richardson