Black History Month 

Celebrate Black History Month and the achievements of African Americans in civil rights, science, art and sports.

Black History Month
Credit: Robert Shetterly

Lesson Plan for Teachers: Have students read the following Intro and MY HERO stories on Abraham LincolnFrederick Douglass and Katherine JohnsonThen watch the short documentary (5:45) on Congressmember John Lewis and use the discussion guide questions to explore the concepts of character, heroism, representation/erasure, and citizenship.

Black History Month | Lesson Plan 

Introduction 

The historian Carter Woodson is known as the "Father of Black History Month." 

Woodson started the Association for the Study of African American Life and History because he felt the contributions of African Americans were "overlooked, ignored, and even suppressed by the writers of history textbooks and the teachers who use them."

Carter G. Woodson

By: Raven from Colorado
Carter Woodson, "Father of Black History Month," founded the Association for the Study of African American Life and History because the contributions of African Americans "were overlooked, ignored, and even suppressed by the writers of history textbooks and the teachers who use them."

In 1926, he established Negro History Week. He chose the second week of February to coincide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. Half a century later, this observance evolved into Black History Month, which we celebrate the entire month of February.

Abraham Lincoln's Life, Leadership, & Legacy:

Excerpt from historian Doris Kearns Goodwin's Years with Lincoln: the importance of Lincoln's empathy and remembering the life stories of those we revere.

From Slavery to Speeches: Frederick Douglass

By: Sean Rollins
Frederick Douglass had a remarkable life: he was born into slavery but became a statesman. He was a powerful advocate for the Abolitionist and Suffragist movement, and famous orator and writer.

Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass | Questions

(1) Carter Woodson, a Harvard historian, chose February for Black History Week, because it had both the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass.

- Why were Lincoln and Douglass important to Black History?

- What character traits did they demonstrate that make them heroes?

- How many autobiographies did Douglass write? How was storytelling important for Lincoln and Douglass?

W.E.B. Dubois

By: Jennifer Beck

Martin Luther King, Jr. said "history cannot ignore W.E.B. Dubois." Dubois was a leading 20th century writer and scholar who laid the intellectual foundations of African American literature and civil rights movement.

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

W.E.B. DuBois, Katherine Johnson | Questions for Class Discussion

Carter Woodson thought the contributions of African Americans were "overlooked, ignored, and even suppressed by the writers of history textbooks and the teachers who used them."

- How does this relate to the story of Katherine Johnson, and the title of the movie about her, Hidden Figures?

Martin Luther King, Jr. said "history cannot ignore W.E.B. Dubois." Based on your reading of the story, what do you think King meant by his statement? Why is what he said true or not true? 

- What can we do today to  keep stories from being overlooked, ignored or suppressed? 

Citizenship

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young
A film about John Lewis on citizenship and character: "To be a good citizen is to obey the rules...the laws. Unless those laws conflict with your conscience.

John Lewis | Questions for Class Discussion

In the film Citizenship, John Lewis states when the laws conflict with our conscience, we have an obligation to disobey the laws.

- Do you agree or disagree with Lewis?

- What character traits do you think a good citizen possesses?

Black Future Month | Lesson Plan - Emerging Filmmakers

The following films, which were recognized at the MY HERO International Film Festival, are by two young emerging African American student filmmakers. How do these films look back at history and also tell us about the African American experience today? How do each filmmakers' personal beliefs and individual styles influence the content of each film? 

Bombingham

Produced by:Gabrielle Gorman
An expressionistic account of a devastating historical event.

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle
Bryan Stevenson has been recognized across the globe for the work that he has done to address poverty and racial inequality.

Black History Month | Featured Hero: John Lewis

Congressman John Lewis, Portrait by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Xenia Shin

To Celebrate Black History Month, we present stories, films, art and audio from the MY HERO archive highlighting the life of Congressman and Civil Rights Hero John Lewis. 

John Lewis was involved in the Civil Rights Movement as a young man and then later became a member the House of Representatives from the state of Georgia.

More

Click on the following pictures for more curated stories, art and films on Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders, Heroes in Art, Music & Literature, Sports Heroes and Science Heroes as we celebrate Black History Month.

Black History Month | Civil Rights and World Leaders

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be Inspired by African American Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders Barack Obama, Ralph Bunche, Michelle Obama.

Black History Month | Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be inspired by African American Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature: Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Dizzy Gillepsie, Louis Armstrong, more.

Black History Month | Heroes in the Sciences

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History with this feature on Heroes in the Sciences

Black History Month | Heroes in Sports

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be inspired by African American Heroes in Sports.

MY HERO Calendar | 365 Days of Heroes

Did you know? You can get inspired and learn about a new hero every day of the year. Check out the MY HERO Calendar for 365 days of heroes.

Links to more Black History Month resources.

Organizer created on 1/26/2015 12:46:18 PM by

Last edited 2/13/2019 12:14:26 PM by Xenia Shin