Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plans for Teachers of Social Studies to use through out the school year

Explore themes of social justice, human rights, womens' rights, and more

with lesson plans and curated content from MY HERO's Multi Media Library

National Day of Service and Remembrance: September 11th 

MY HERO recommends middle school and high school students view this animated film as a remembrance of September 11th. The film depicts September 11th events, in which the principle character is the wife of a New York firefighter.

A touching animation following the wife of a firefighter during 9/11.

NEW YORK SKY
Credit: Vlash Droboniku

Read and Listen 

Great for ESL Students   

The story about Stephen Siller, the inspiration for the annual Tunnel to Tower Run in New York City, is available in text and audio. 

Stephen Siller: From The Tunnel to the Towers

By: Vincent from Manhasset

Stephen Siller was a firefighter who bravely sacrificed his life to save others on 9/11.

International Day of Peace: September 21

Read stories about peace activist and Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic, and young poet and peacemaker Mattie Stepanek.

Ron Kovic

By: Betty Bailey and Jeanne Meyers

Ron Kovic: best selling author, activist and artist is honored at the MY HERO Celebration of Peace.

Mattie Stepanek: For Our World

Mattie's poems of peace and hope have touched millions of lives.

Collection of Films about Peace for Elementary, Middle and High School Students .

PEACE DAY FOR EDUCATION

By: Wendy Milette

Film resources for celebrating the UN International Day of Peace in the Classroom!

Hispanic Heritage Month: September

Dolores Huerta by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Activist Marilyn Huerta portrayed by artist Marilyn Huerta.

Hispanic activists Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez depicted by artist Marilyn Huerta. 

Cesar Chavez by Marilyn Huerta, Portrait artist

By: Marilyn Huerta

Cesar Chavez Hispanic heritage hero and labor organizer (UFW), who tirelessly fought for farm workers in California.

Additional stories with text and audio available in the Hispanic Heritage Lesson Plan.

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field

Story about Dr. France Cordova who is the director of the US National Science Foundation.

Julissa Arce

By: Iris Liu

Story about Julissa Acre, a Mexican immigrant and social justice advocate.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Third Monday in January

Story about Martin Luther King Jr. by Congressman John Lewis.

Art by Marilyn Huerta.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By: John Lewis

John Lewis was inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr. as a young man during the Civil Rights Movement.

Martin Luther King Jr. painted by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Marilyn Huerta paints Martin Luther King Jr's portrait as a civil rights leader and non violent activist.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day:January 27 

The Story of Three Rings: The Memoir of Dana Schwartz

Produced by:The Righteous Conversations Project Students

Holocaust Survivor Dana Schwartz recounts her life in the Lvov Ghetto during the Holocaust. 

Two films about Holocaust Survivors .

Tipping Scales: The Story of Lisa Jura

Tipping Scales' follows the journey of a young woman on the Kindertransport from Vienna to London in 1938. 

Anne Frank

By: Jennifer from Kaohsiung

This story about Anne Frank is in text and audio so students are able to read and listen. 

Black History Month: February

Black History Month | Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders

By: MY HERO Staff

Black History Month: Civil Rights and World Leaders

Black History Month | Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

By: MY HERO Staff

Black History Month: Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

Black History Month | Heroes in Sports

By: MY HERO Staff

Black History Month: Heroes in Sports.

Black History Month | Heroes in the Sciences

By: MY HERO Staff

Black History Month: Heroes in the Sciences

Women's History Month: March

Story and photograph of the first United States Congresswoman Jeanne Rankin. Additional resources in the Women's Equality Day link. 

Jeannette Rankin

By: Sriya Mupparaju

Story about Jeanette Rankin, the first Congresswoman in the United States.

Votes For Women - Jeannette Rankin

By: unknown photographer

Jeanette Rankin speaks to a crowd in Montana. 

Women's Equality Day Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

By: Laura Nietzer

Women's Equality Day Lesson Plan

Global Youth Service Day: April 12-14

Film and story about youth making a difference.

Additional resources available in the Global Youth Day Multimedia Lesson Plan.

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Producer: Lynne Cherry

Young Olivia loves birds, and created over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue. 

Emma Gonzalez

By: Analeah Mafnas

Having survived the February 2018 Stoneman Douglas High School shooting Florida, Emma co-founded the gun-control groups Never Again and March for Our Lives.

International Day of UN Peacekeepers: May 29

Defying Death in South Sudan is a short film directed by Francis Mead. The film tells the remarkable story of hero Ken Payumo who protected thousands of civilians in South Sudan during the height of the violence in the country in December 2013. 

Defying Death in S. Sudan

Producer: Francis Mead

Hero Ken Payumo protected thousands of civilians in South Sudan. 

World Refugee Day: June 20

Three Lives Being Lived in Zaatari Refugee Camp

Produced by:World Food Programme

Film about three Syrians are forced to adapt to new lives as refugees in Jordan's Zaatari camp.

Bashir's Dream

Produced by:RYOT Films, DYAD

The film Bashir's Dream centers around Qusai Bashir Masaama, a 14-year-old Syrian refugee in Jordan shot in the back.

The Global Refugee Mural

By: Joel Bergner

The Global Refugee Mural created by Joel Bergner with Action Ashe! Global Mural Project is in Maryland.

International Youth Day: August 12

Youth Hero Stories:

Bilaal Rajan is working to make the world a better place for disadvantaged children. Greta Thunberg has become a global climate activist.

Bilaal Rajan

By: Sean from Richmond Hill

Bilaal Rajan is the founder of Making Change Now and Canada's child ambassador to UNICEF.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff

On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, who has become a leader of youth. 

Mendy Kanu started the Children's Foundation of Technology in Sierra Leone to bring education to children in poverty. Listen to his students' song. (4:32 minutes)

Mendy Kanu
Credit: Mendy Kanu

Mendy started the Children's Foundation of Technology Sierra Leone to serve the disadvantaged youth in his community. Slater is a climate activist who has become a documentary film maker.

Slater Unstoppable

Producer: MY HERO

Director Slater Jewell-Kemker shares her journey with MY HERO.

World Humanitarian Day: August 19

Light of the Himalaya

Produced by:Michael Brown and David D'Angelo

This spectacular film follows the work of doctors who provide eye surgeries to the people of Nepal.

Films about humanitarian heroes in Nepal and Somalia.

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Produced by:Aaron Kisner

Dr. Hawa Abdi's began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting on her family farm in Somalia.

International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition: August 23

Art and Essays About Former Slaves who Became Abolitionists.

Frederick Douglass by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly

Portrait of Frederick Douglass by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth.

Frederick Douglass

By: Donna from Cal State Fullerton

Frederick Douglass courageously spoke out against slavery and was a trusted advisor to Abraham Lincoln.

Sojourner Truth

By: Robert Shetterly

Portrait of Sojourner Truth by Robert Shetterly, Americans Who Tell the Truth.

Sojourner Truth

By: Nancy Nickerson

Sojourner Truth born into slavery, worked for the freedom of all.

Doorway to Freedom

By: Cheikh Seck from Senegal

The House of Slaves in the Island of Goree where slaves had been kept prior to being shipped overseas. The artist portrays the symbol of pain but also the doorway to emancipation.

MY HERO Multimedia Social Studies Lesson Plans 

Hispanic Heritage Month Multimedia Resources and Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

A national holiday celebrating the contributions of Hispanic and Latino heroes.

National Day of Service and Remembrance: Heroes of 9/11 Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Share the importance of the heroes of 9/11 with your students. 

International Day of Peace Multimedia Resource and Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

International Day of Peace Multimedia Lesson Plan. 

World Humanitarian Day Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

By: Laura Nietzer
Share the importance of World Humanitarian Day with students. MY HERO's multimedia lesson plan honors humanitarian workers in danger. Includes discussion guide and learning outcome.

August 12 | International Youth Day Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

By: Laura Nietzer
Share the importance of International Youth Day with your students. MY HERO's multimedia lesson plan inspires students to be partners in global change.

Global Youth Service Day Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer
Curated Multimedia Teacher's Resource. Classroom activity focusing on Global Youth Service Day celebrating youth who exercise their civic rights and to help youth identify a problem in their own community and solve them.

International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer
Share the importance of the remembrance of the abolition of the slave trade with your students. Bring clasrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcome.

By: Laura Nietzer
Teachers: Share the importance of Women's Equality Day with students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's free Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plans.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 8/21/2019 8:38:29 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 12/30/2019 3:34:33 PM by Laura Nietzer