World Health Day | April 7

Observed since 1950 to mark the founding of the World Health Organization, World Health Day raises awareness of a major global health issue and mobilizes local communities.

The theme for 2020 is Support Nurses and Midwives.

World Health Day

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Health Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Stories

Coronavirus essay contest updated

Pioneering nurses and midwives from the past continue to influence the self-sacrificial nature of nursing today. These four hero stories provide a glimpse into the magnanimity of the occupation. 

Elaine Alsop

By: Kami Bodine from Billings, Montana

Elaine's hero is her mother, a nurse who works with oncology patients.

Florence Nightingale

By: Ketki Chakradeo

Florence Nightingale is known as the founder of modern nursing.

Edith Cavell

By: Alexa Mulcahey from San Diego

Edith Cavell was a nurse who saved soldiers on both sides during WWI and helped over 200 Allied soldiers escape Belgium.

Nurses

By: Kelly from Stratford

Kelly is grateful for the care and compassion of the nurses who helped her sister after her car accident.

Hero Story from a Professional Writer

This story was written by Maria Smilios, author of the forthcoming book "The Black Angels: The Untold Stories of the Nurses who helped Cure Tuberculosis." 

Aileen Cole Stewart: Called to Serve

By: MY HERO Staff
Aileen Cole Stewart made history as one of 18 African American nurses to serve in the Army Nurse Corp during WWI.

Films

The following films feature remarkable people whose lives are committed to the health and well being of others.

A Moment of Compassion

Brenda Goodman
On the border of Mexico and the USA, Tijuana Native , Dr. Patricia Gonzalez-Zuniga and her team of American and Mexican interns and residents provide care and compassion for anyone in need with their street clinic THE WOUND CLINIC.

Baby Malick and Federica

Cheikh Darou Seck
This video is about the heart disease and miraculous recovery of my baby boy, Serigne Malick Seck.

SLINGSHOT

Producer: Paul Lazarus

Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the safe water crisis.

Power of Compassion & Importance of the Work of CCARE

CCARE at Stanford University

Dr. James Doty speaks on the power of compassion and importance of the work of CCARE.

Listen & Read Along

Robin Lim

By: Wendy Jewell
Robin Lim devotes her life to improving the birth experience so that all humans are born with an intact capacity to love.

Clara Barton

By: Abbey Baxter Burks
Clara Barton was known as the 'Angel of the Battlefield.'

Art

This year's World Health Day theme appropriately celebrates nurses. Nurses are the heroes in the face of the COVID-19 healthcare pandemic as they risk their lives and care for patients. Since most citizens are forced to isolate, the role of art becomes more central than ever, as people try to make sense of what is happening. The artwork featured below was created in celebration of the heroic acts of nurses -- a small thank you and a vehicle to connect us back to one another.

Super Nurse
Credit: IamFake
RN Healthcare Worker
Credit: Jorge Garza
Nurse and World
Credit: Heather Strazza

Acrilico Sobre Lienzo
Credit: Ismi.98

Mother Earth Save Us

By: Irene Tessa

Links

Organizer created on 3/25/2016 10:44:26 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/8/2020 4:59:38 PM by Shannon Luders-Manuel