World Oceans Day

Celebrated on June 8th brings awareness of the importance of protecting our oceans.

Thanks to ONE WORLD ONE OCEAN for sponsoring the Sylvia Earle Ocean Award on MY HERO

World Oceans Day banner
Credit: Michal Strzelecki, Wojtek Strzelecki i Jerzy Strzelecki [CC BY 3.0] via Wikimedia

Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islands depicts the revitalization of traditional conservation practices in the islands of Papua New Guinea.

Gwala Rising
Credit: Whitney Yadao-Evans, Niquole Esters, and Jennifer Shoemaker

The MY HERO Project is proud to announce Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islandsa film directed by Stephani Gordon for Conservation International is the winner of the 2018 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award, in the MY HERO International Film Festival. The film shows the efforts of the people of Anagusa, an island of Papua New Guinea, who honor the tradition of "Gwala." When "Gwala" is observed, a declining reef is temporarily closed to fishermen to allow the ecosystem time to recover from global warming, population growth and overfishing. By protecting an individual reef, the fish population flourishes, spilling over into the areas where fishing is allowed. The result is healthier ecosystem and more food and prosperity for the islanders. 

Sylvia Earle

Producer: Mariela Cantu & Natalias Segura
Sylvia Earle is a renowned scientist and ocean conservationist.

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award Sizzle

Producer: Hila Hamidi
One World One Ocean Sponsors the Ocean Conservation Award in the MY HERO International Film Festival with a 500.00 prize!

One World One Ocean

Producer: MacGillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean campaign inspires stewardship of the sea.

A Tribute to Sylvia Earle

Producer: One World One Ocean
A tribute to oceanographer Sylvia Earle from One World One Ocean.

OCEAN DEFENDERS ALLIANCE / Isla Coronado Ghost Net - Excerpt

Producer: WalterMarti
Removing a ghost net from the sea.

Our Oceans Narrated by Sylvia Earle

Producer: Jo Priest
A film about the importance of protecting the blue heart of our planet; our oceans.

Sylvia Earle OCEAN Conservation Award WINNERS REEL

Producer: The MY HERO Project
Highlighting winning films in the MY HERO International Film Festival for the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award sponsored by One World One Ocean

My Blue Heart

Whitney Winefordner and Larsen McCarroll perform original song in honor of Sylvia Earle.

World Oceans Day - Celebrate Marine Parks

Producer: One World One Ocean
One World One Ocean produced this video to raise awareness about World Oceans Day!

Laguna Beach Eco Heroes: One World One Ocean

Producer: The MY HERO Project
One World One Ocean is a global campaign led by Greg MacGillivray to raise awareness for ocean conservation.

The Ocean We Want To Know

Producer: Macgillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline.

The Kelp Lady 2018

Her work inspired the nickname The Kelp Lady. But her conservation goals extend to many more inhabitants of the sea. Nancy Caruso is a hero who tirelessly worked to regrow the kelp forest in Orange County. As the founder of Get Inspired! Inc., she brings the community together with her dedication to the florae and faunae of the sea. She and her band of volunteers regrew the kelp, also known as the rainforest of the sea--because of how many species rely on them for survival, including us! Nancy's current endeavor is the Green Abalone Restoration Project to restore the dwindling species.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Oceans Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Related Links to Resources

Comprehensive Ocean Conservation Curriculum - Short films and lesson plans!

oceanstewards
Credit: myhero

Given annually at the MY HERO Film Festival by One World, One Ocean to a filmmaker who best shows the importance of protecting our oceans. 

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award

To Spark a global movement to protect our oceans.

One World, One Ocean
Credit: One World, One Ocean

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 6/7/2018 5:43:27 AM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 11/7/2019 2:53:01 PM by Laura Nietzer