World Oceans Day

Celebrated on June 8th brings awareness of the importance of protecting our oceans.

Thanks to ONE WORLD ONE OCEAN for sponsoring the Sylvia Earle Ocean Award on MY HERO

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Oceans Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award

Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islands depicts the revitalization of traditional conservation practices in the islands of Papua New Guinea.

Gwala Rising
Credit: Whitney Yadao-Evans, Niquole Esters, and Jennifer Shoemaker

The MY HERO Project is proud to announce Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islandsa film directed by Stephani Gordon for Conservation International is the winner of the 2018 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award, in the MY HERO International Film Festival. The film shows the efforts of the people of Anagusa, an island of Papua New Guinea, who honor the tradition of "Gwala." When "Gwala" is observed, a declining reef is temporarily closed to fishermen to allow the ecosystem time to recover from global warming, population growth and overfishing. By protecting an individual reef, the fish population flourishes, spilling over into the areas where fishing is allowed. The result is healthier ecosystem and more food and prosperity for the islanders. 

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award Sizzle

Producer: Hila Hamidi
One World One Ocean Sponsors the Ocean Conservation Award in the MY HERO International Film Festival with a 500.00 prize!

One World One Ocean

Producer: MacGillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean campaign inspires stewardship of the sea.

Protecting Blue Whales and Blue Skies

Michael Hanrahan
A collaboration of government agencies, non-profits, and private industry come together to solve the problem of commercial ships causing increased air pollution and whale strikes in the Santa Barbara Channel.

freeFLY

Avery Bazan
A collaboration between Oceans Unmanned and DJI utilizing drones to help entangled humpback whales.

Looking After Our Environment: James Price Point

Produced by:Mark Pearce
Mark Jones speaks out against a gas development complex that spells doomsday for some species living around James Price Point.

Our Oceans Narrated by Sylvia Earle

Producer: Jo Priest
A film about the importance of protecting the blue heart of our planet; our oceans.

Sylvia Earle OCEAN Conservation Award WINNERS REEL

Producer: The MY HERO Project
Highlighting winning films in the MY HERO International Film Festival for the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award sponsored by One World One Ocean

My Blue Heart

Whitney Winefordner and Larsen McCarroll perform original song in honor of Sylvia Earle.

World Oceans Day - Celebrate Marine Parks

Producer: One World One Ocean
One World One Ocean produced this video to raise awareness about World Oceans Day!

Laguna Beach Eco Heroes: One World One Ocean

Producer: The MY HERO Project
One World One Ocean is a global campaign led by Greg MacGillivray to raise awareness for ocean conservation.

The Ocean We Want To Know

Producer: Macgillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean with stunning facts about our connection to the planet's lifeline.

The Kelp Lady 2018

Her work inspired the nickname The Kelp Lady. But her conservation goals extend to many more inhabitants of the sea. Nancy Caruso is a hero who tirelessly worked to regrow the kelp forest in Orange County. As the founder of Get Inspired! Inc., she brings the community together with her dedication to the florae and faunae of the sea. She and her band of volunteers regrew the kelp, also known as the rainforest of the sea--because of how many species rely on them for survival, including us! Nancy's current endeavor is the Green Abalone Restoration Project to restore the dwindling species.

Related Pages

Ocean Heroes - Short Film Screening

By: Wendy Milette
View the finalist films - 2019 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award!

Sustainable Seafood Month | October

By: Xenia Shin
Learn about how to make educated seafood choices for Sustainable Seafood Month with our multimedia showcase. Consume fish that is sustainably managed and responsibly harvested

2020 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award Finalists

By: Wendy Milette
Sponsored by MacGillivray Freeman's One World One Ocean Campaign for short films featuring Ocean Heroes who are making waves of change for Ocean Conservation!

World Water Day | March 22

By: MY HERO Staff
Access to water is a human right. World Water Day brings our attention to the importance of freshwater and the sustainable management of freshwater resources.

Related Links to Resources

Comprehensive Ocean Conservation Curriculum - Short films and lesson plans!

oceanstewards
Credit: myhero

To Spark a global movement to protect our oceans.

One World, One Ocean
Credit: One World, One Ocean

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 6/7/2018 5:43:27 AM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 5/19/2021 1:43:30 PM by Wendy Milette