LESSON PLANS

MY HERO Online Lessons and Resources Organized by Grade Level and Subject

Use MY HERO's multimedia resources to to enrich in person and virtual learning.

Language Arts Lessons and Activities

Elementary Language Arts
Middle School Language Arts

High School Language Arts

Environmental Science 

Environmental Film Selections for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Environmental Films Selections for Middle School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Environmental Film Selections for High School Students

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Elementary Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Ocean Conservation Efforts Lesson Plans, Activities and Resources for Middle School

By: Laura Nietzer

Celebrate the Best of Humanity Working on Ocean Conservation

Ocean Conservation Efforts Lesson Plans, Activities and Resources for High School

By: Laura Nietzer

Celebrate the Best of Humanity Working on Ocean Conservation:Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water

Science Stories and Lesson Ideas for Upper Elementary Students
Credit: Kate Deciccio: The Amplifier Foundation- The March for Science
Science Stories and Lesson Ideas for Middle School Students
Credit: Kate Deciccio: The Amplifier Foundation
Science Stories and Lesson Ideas for High School Students
Credit: Celeste Byers: The Amplifier Foundation

Social Studies

Upper Elementary School Social Justice Lesson Resource

MY HERO Multimedia Social Studies Resources for Elementary Students: A Peaceful World

By: Laura Nietzer
For Homeschooling and Virtual Education to Enrich Learning

Social Justice Resources for Middle School
Human Rights Lesson Resources Middle School

MY HERO Multimedia Resources for Middle School Students: Peace Activism

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO Curated Resources for Middle School Students - Civil Rights

By: Laura Nietzer
Use these resources to inspire compassion and activism in your students, and ask them to identify a civil rights issue they can learn more about.

MY HERO Curated Resources for Middle School Students - Youth Activists

By: Laura Nietzer
Inspire your students and enhance their learning at home with these resources from MY HERO. Includes questions and research activities that can be assigned to students.

High School Social Justice Resources

MY HERO Multimedia Resources for High School Students: Conflict Resolution and Peace

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO Curated Resources for High School Students - Civil Rights

By: Laura Nietzer

.

MY HERO Curated Resources for High School Students - Youth Activists

By: Laura Nietzer
Inspire your students

Families Watch a Selection of Curated Films About Young People Making a Difference 

The Last Straw

Lynne Cherry

Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resources and harm ocean creatures. 

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
Young Olivia loves birds, and creates over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue.

The Secret of Trees

Produced by:Albert Maysles
What do trees know that we don't? 13-year-old inventor Aiden set out to find out.

Young Voices for the Planet - Plant for the Planet

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
Felix from Germany is inspired by Wangari Maathai's work to plant trees with his fellow pupils.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma.

Vivienne

Produced by:Diane Namm
When 8-year old Vivienne Harr heard about children suffering from human trafficking, she founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise funds to fight child slavery.

Students Produce Their Own Films to Submit to MY HERO

Students use the Media Arts Education Resources to produce their own film to MY HERO. Included are resources for all steps of production, editing, camera angles as well as resources for the different genres of film students may want to consider producing. Each year there is an International Film Festival where students can submit their films for free and be considered for awards and prizes. 

Media Arts Education Resources and Tutorials Link

Create original hero artwork and upload it to share in the MY HERO Gallery.

Link: Use the MY HERO Art Gallery with Students

Contests

MY HERO has student contests for all types of media and for special hero-related themes that change throughout the year.

They always are featured on the MY HERO homepage.

Currently students are asked to submit their art, poems, songs, or stories about a hero to share with our global community and win a  prize!

MY HERO Contest Link

If you only have a little time for a MY HERO moment:

Want your students to be able to honor someone's heroic qualities or actions and share it with a global audience? Have them sign the MY HERO Guestbook.  There will be a slight delay showing up on the page, as we review each entry to make sure only safe child-friendly content appears on MY HERO.
MY HERO will not post any entries that contain swearing, or promote hatred, violence or prejudice.

Guestbook
Credit: My Hero

A HERO EVERY DAY

Use MY HERO's 365 Days of Heroes Calendar, or it's Curated Thematic Calendar tied to the school year at the beginning of your online session to set a tone, to start some thinking, to activate prior knowledge, or just to talk about something uplifting at the beginning of class time.

Get some chat going about what our heroes think and do, and about how that relates to us today.

My Hero Calendar - 365 Days of Heroes
Credit: mh

If you want to have your class explore the concept of heroism and the behaviors and values we admire:

Use an essay about heroism to begin the discussion.

Share a lesson or unit about Finding Our Heroes (elementary, middle or high school).

Join the MY HERO Forum to discuss heroism. 

How do we choose our heroes?

Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Explore Character Traits and the Heroes that Demonstrate these Values.

Students are encouraged to submit their own stories, artwork and short films that honor those individuals who exemplify these character traits through the Create program. 

Resources for Character Education

Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Enrich Social Emotional Learning

These curated stories, art and short films demonstrate the SEL Competencies of: Self Awareness, Responsible Decision Making, Social Awareness, Self Management and Relationship Skills. Discussion questions are included. 

Social Emotional Learning Resources

Listen and Read Along Stories for ESL Students

English Language Learners can listen to MY HERO's inspiring stories to further their English language proficiency and learn about international heroes at the same time. Students listen and read along to the hero stories included in this resource. Also recommended for emerging readers. 

Stories with Test and Audio

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Additional Resources Available in the Teachers Room

MY HERO's Teachers Room

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 3/17/2020 9:06:21 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 6/22/2021 5:35:43 PM by Laura Nietzer