World Health Day

On April 7 we celebrate the founding of the World Health Organization. World Health Day raises awareness of a major global health issue and mobilizes local communities.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Health Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Coronavirus Multimedia Contest

Films

The following films feature remarkable people whose lives are committed to the health and well being of others.

A Moment in History

Paco Anselmi
Tribute to all the healthcare workers fighting at the frontline against Covid-19 - Voice of NY Governor Andrew Cuomo.

A Moment of Compassion

Brenda Goodman
On the border of Mexico and the USA, Tijuana Native , Dr. Patricia Gonzalez-Zuniga and her team of American and Mexican interns and residents provide care and compassion for anyone in need with their street clinic THE WOUND CLINIC.

Baby Malick and Federica

Cheikh Darou Seck
This video is about the heart disease and miraculous recovery of my baby boy, Serigne Malick Seck.

SLINGSHOT

Producer: Paul Lazarus

Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of his water purification technology, and his approach to the safe water crisis.

Stories

Pioneering nurses and midwives from the past continue to influence the self-sacrificial nature of nursing today. These four hero stories provide a glimpse into the magnanimity of the occupation.

Rachel Gemara: Nursing COVID-19 Patients in Israel

By: Ruth Ebenstein
Rachel Gemara is an oncology nurse in Jerusalem who treated patients with COVID-19 at a popup unit at Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

Shomy Hasan Chowdhury

By: Dorothy Lie
Shomy Hasan Chowdhury created the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) organization, for which she received an Diana Award, to combat deadly diarrhea in underserved communities.

Florence Nightingale

By: Ketki Chakradeo

Florence Nightingale is known as the founder of modern nursing.

Edith Cavell

By: Alexa Mulcahey from San Diego

Edith Cavell was a nurse who saved soldiers on both sides during WWI and helped over 200 Allied soldiers escape Belgium.

Hero Story from a Professional Writer

This story was written by Maria Smilios, author of the forthcoming book "The Black Angels: The Untold Stories of the Nurses who helped Cure Tuberculosis." 

Aileen Cole Stewart: Called to Serve

By: MY HERO Staff
Aileen Cole Stewart made history as one of 18 African American nurses to serve in the Army Nurse Corp during WWI.

Listen & Read Along

Robin Lim

By: Wendy Jewell
Robin Lim devotes her life to improving the birth experience so that all humans are born with an intact capacity to love.

Clara Barton

By: Abbey Baxter Burks
Clara Barton was known as the 'Angel of the Battlefield.'

Art

The artwork featured below was created in celebration of the heroic acts of nurses -- a small thank you and a vehicle to connect us back to one another.Nurses are the heroes in the face of the COVID-19 healthcare pandemic as they risk their lives and care for patients. Since most citizens are forced to isolate, the role of art becomes more central than ever, as people try to make sense of what is happening.
Super Nurse
Credit: IamFake
RN Healthcare Worker
Credit: Jorge Garza
Nurse and World
Credit: Heather Strazza

Credit: Sarina Vaziri
Our Real Heroes, Our Corona Warriors
Credit: Haroon Amjad

Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 3/25/2016 10:44:26 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/12/2021 1:19:19 PM by Giselle Villatoro