International Holocaust Day | Voices of Survivors

International Holocaust Day is observed to inscribe the atrocities of the Holocaust into our hearts and our history. To that end it is important to hear the testimony of the survivors of the Holocaust.

Credit: "Raja Weksler's Story" by Doug Miller

2020 MY HERO Film Festival Relationships First Award Winning Film

Inseparable: The Story of Elly and Lya

Gabriela Barrett, Alexander McDaniel, Idalis McZeal, Noa Nelson, Grace Sandman, ...

Dutch sisters, born on the same day but years apart, are separated by the Holocaust and raised in hiding by two very different families.

Watch and read about this film from the 19th MY HERO Film Festival about Holocaust survivor Eva Brettler

'A Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story' by The Righteous Conversations Project

By: Naomi Gledhill
A Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story wins the Women Transforming Media Category of the 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival.

A Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story

By: Cheri Gaulke and Samara Hutman
An animated film that chronicles the extraordinary saga of Holocaust survivor Eva Brettler – a child facing brutality and profound loss who finds sustenance in faith and her own dreams for the future.

Additional Films

Dieu Merci: The Story of Michele Rodri

Produced by:Righteous Conversations Project

[External Link] This story of Michele Rodri was created with youth and Holocaust Survivors through the Righteous Conversations Project. Learn about this amazing holocaust survivor and her journey.

The Story of Three Rings: The Memoir of Dana Schwartz

Produced by:The Righteous Conversations Project Students

Holocaust Survivor Dana Schwartz recounts her life in the Lvov Ghetto during the Holocaust in 'The Story of Three Rings', created by students in the Righteous Conversations Project Digital Storytelling Workshop, Summer 2015.

Curt Lowens: A Life of changes

Produced by:Justin Binder, August Blum, Robert Carlson, Levi Glaser, George Khab...

The Righteous Conversations Digital Storytelling Workshop brings to the screen Holocaust Survivor Curt Lowens' story of escape and resistance during World War II.

Share Our Stories - Curt

By: Chance Hakimi, Yonah Yasmeh, Tiffany Farshi, Dr. Jim Lichti
Curt's story as a Holocaust survivor encourages the young generation to be strong and have hope.

Share Our Stories - David

By: Maxine Malekmehr, Hannah Berookhim and Niki Nickfardjam
A story about David as Holocaust survivor encourages the young generations to be brave and have hope for a brighter future.

Hold the Sun in Your Hands: The Erika Jacoby Story

Righteous Conversations Project

Created by students from across Los Angeles with Holocaust Survivor Erika Jacoby and Filmmaker Mentor C. Lily Ericsson.

Women Transforming Media -- Eva Haller

Producer: Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin

Eva Haller's dedication to philanthropy and activism is a lifelong endeavor.

Tipping Scales: The Story of Lisa Jura

Tipping Scales' follows the journey of a young woman on the Kindertransport from Vienna to London in 1938. This short film was created by students in the Righteous Conversations Project Digital Storytelling Workshop, Summer 2015.

Zuzana: Music is Life (Trailer)

Produced by:Getzels Gordon Productions

An uplifting and inspiring musical story of love, tyranny and triumph.

Stories

Norbert Troller

By: Robin Venter

Norbert Troller was a Jewish architect sent to the Theresienstadt ghetto-concentration camp. He made secret drawings depicting camp life that he recovered after the war.

Helen Freeman

By: Magda Liszewska

Helen Freeman survived the Holocaust and shares her story. She was a founding Advisory Board Survivor Elder of The Righteous Conversations Project which connects Holocaust survivors and teens.

Survivors of the Holocaust

By: Alyson from Southeast Polk

This story includes the memories of Jeannine Burk, a Jewish child  forced into hiding at a young age.  

Wladyslaw Szpilman

By: Adrian from Pleasant Hill

Wladyslaw Szpilman was a survivor of the holocaust but went on to perform beautiful music. He wrote a memoir about his survival titled "The Pianist".

Raja Weksler

By: Melissa from Linwood

Raja Weksler helped her daughter survive in a concentration camp. Their story is told in the book "Thanks to my Mother".

Read Ellisha's story about how her grandfather Harry survived and why he is her hero.

My Grandfather Harry

By: Ellisha from Montreal, Quebec in Canada

"My grandfather was a normal child, just like you and me. However, something horrifying occurred that changed his life forever."

"The International Holocaust Memorial Day on January 27th commemorates the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest and one of the most deadly of the Nazi death camps, on that day in 1945. Over one million people, mostly Jews, were killed in Auschwitz. Six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust. Eleven million human beings across political, social, national, and religious lines, were killed as victims of Nazi persecution. Seventy-five years later, we reflect back on humanity’s worst impulses—Yet in choosing to commemorate the liberation of the camp alongside recalling the suffering that took place in it, the historical moment reminds us that we should persist toward hope and justice, and that it is in our power to fight against such evil—and to win."
Deb Donig

by Dr. Deb Donig, Assistant Professor of English Literature, Cal Poly

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Holocaust Remembrance Day Lesson Plan. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Related Pages

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Helpers Resisters

By: MY HERO Staff
Honoring those who fought, resisted and helped others during the Holocaust.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Artwork

By: MY HERO Staff
Holocaust Remembrance through Art submitted to the Gallery

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Films

By: Laura Nietzer
First hand accounts of the Holocaust through films.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Text With Audio

By: Laura Nietzer
Let us never forget the Holocaust. These stories all have text with an audio link allowing students to listen as they read along.

International Holocaust Remembrance Day | Heroes Working to Stop Future Genocide

By: MY HERO Staff
Heroes Working to Stop Future Genocide

International Holocaust Remembrance Day

By: MY HERO Staff
January 27

Anne Frank & Miep Gies

By: Erin Gruwell

Anne Frank & Miep Gies are heroes to Freedom Writers founder and teacher, Erin Gruwell.

Righteous Conversations - MEDIA Award

Righteous Conversations Project mentors youth to tell stories that promote tolerance.

The Righteous Conversations Project

Links

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Credit: USHMM
International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
Credit: International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
Echoes and Reflections Holocaust Teacher Resources for Middle and High School
Credit: Echoes and Reflections

MY HERO Calendars for use in the Classroom

MY HERO's Teachers Calendar Features Lesson Plans and Multimedia Resources

Teachers Calendar

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 12/19/2019 10:04:53 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 1/2/2024 1:57:52 PM by Laura Nietzer