LESSON PLAN

DISTANCE LEARNING USING MY HERO RESOURCES AND PROJECTS

Whatever your discipline or grade level, whatever your classroom/online combination looks like, use our free content to bring positive messages into your online lessons. 

Find inspiration and hope in MY HERO's stories, films, art, and audio resources.

Featured Lesson Plans and Resources for April

MY HERO Contests
Credit: MH

MY HERO has student contests for all types of media and for special hero-related themes that change throughout the year.

Currently students are asked to submit their art, poems, songs, or stories about a hero to share with our global community and win a prize! 

The deadline for the current contests is May 1, 2021

Poetry Month Lesson Plan

Celebrate and Learn about Poets with Hero Essays, Artwork, Short Films and Spoken Word Poems in the MY HERO Poetry Lesson Plan. Encourage your students to write original poetry to submit to the MY HERO Poetry Contest. They can submit their written poem, film themselves reciting their poem or even creating a short film illustrating their poem

Jazz Appreciation Month Lesson Plan

Use the MY HERO Multimedia Resources and Jazz Appreciation Month Lesson Plan to encourage students to explore and honor jazz as both a national and world treasure. 

World Health Day Lesson Plan

The theme of World Health Day 2021 is building a fairer, healthier world. As COVID-19 has highlighted, some people are able to live healthier lives and have better access to health services than others - entirely due to the conditions in which they are born, grow, live, work and age. Use the MY HERO World Health Day Lesson Plan to enrich learning. 

Earth Day Lesson Plan

The theme of Earth Day this year is Restore Our Earth focusing on natural processes, emerging green technologies, and innovative thinking that can restore the world’s ecosystems. Enhance student learning using MY HERO Multimedia Earth Day Lesson Plan and Resources honoring those making a positive difference. 

If you only have a little time for a MY HERO moment:

My Hero Calendar - 365 Days of Heroes
Credit: mh

A HERO EVERY DAY

Use MY HERO's 365 Days of Heroes Calendar, or its Curated Thematic Calendar tied to the school year, at the beginning of your online session to set a tone, to start some thinking, to activate prior knowledge, or just to talk about something uplifting at the beginning of class time.

Get some chat going about what our heroes think and do, and about how that relates to us today.

Guestbook
Credit: My Hero

Want your students to be able to honor someone's heroic qualities or actions and share it with a global audience? Have them sign the MY HERO Guestbook. There will be a slight delay showing up on the page, as we review each entry to make sure only safe, child-friendly content appears on MY HERO.
MY HERO will not post any entries that contain swearing, or promote hatred, violence or prejudice.

If you want to have your class explore the concept of heroism and the behaviors and values we admire:

How do we choose our heroes?

Use this essay about heroism to begin the discussion about choosing a hero and the difference between a celebrity and a hero.

Share a lesson or unit about Finding Our Heroes (elementary, middle or high school).

Join the MY HERO Forum to discuss heroism. 

Resources for Character Education

Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Explore Character Traits and the Heroes that Demonstrate these Values.

Students are encouraged to submit their own stories, artwork and short films that honor those individuals who exemplify these character traits through the Create program. 

Social Emotional Learning Resources

Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Enrich Social Emotional Learning

These curated stories, art and short films demonstrate the SEL Competencies of: Self Awareness, Responsible Decision Making, Social Awareness, Self Management and Relationship Skills. Discussion questions are included. 

Explore our rich multimedia library if you have enough time to read a story, view a short film, look at a piece of hero art, or listen to an audio segment.

USE MY HERO'S LIBRARY OF STORIES ABOUT HEROES

MY HERO stories support basic literacy goals while providing inspiring and hopeful content.

Below are links to Language Arts Lessons and Activities organized by grade level:

Elementary Students

Middle School Students

High School Students

Listen and Read at the Same Time

Have students listen as they read along to curated stories that have text with audio for enriched learning and differentiated instruction. 

An extension is to have your students write and publish their own hero stories, then read them aloud and add to our audio library.

MY HERO Listen and Read Along Stories

MY HERO's SCREENING ROOM HAS A FILM LIBRARY full of shorts that are the perfect size for the classroom, including winners in MY HERO's International Film Festival.

International Film Festival
Credit: myhero

Set your students loose to explore and find their favorites, then report back to the class with what they found. Rest assured that the films are appropriate for middle school and older students. Here is a link to a collection of short award winning films  appropriate for a younger audience and family viewing

Here's a simple lesson plan.

The Film Library is a perfect place to practice media literacy lessons: Who created the medium? Why did they create it? What is the message and how do they convince you? How does the message relate to you?

Media Arts Education Resources

MY HERO’s mission is to use media and technology to celebrate the best of humanity and to empower people of all ages to realize their own potential to effect positive change in the world. Our hope in providing these free media arts education resources is to support all levels of media makers with the tools needed to produce meaningful hero stories that can be shared with our global audience.

Analyzing the Elements of Art Using the MY HERO Gallery

VISIT THE MY HERO ART GALLERY TO EXPLORE HOW HEROISM CAN BE VISUALIZED

You'll find work in all kinds of media by professional and student artists.

MY HERO puts heroes in categories, based on their actions. You can browse art by these categories or by type of art medium.

MY HERO Audio Page

LISTEN IN TO THE MY HERO AUDIO ROOM

Browse Music, Narrative, and Poetry to find the sounds that will inspire your students.

EXPRESS HEROISM WITH SOUND

simple tutorial gets students started creating and publishing their own song, poem, or narrative. Spoken word is always welcome!

Have Your Students Become Published Writers, Artists and Filmmakers Using MY HERO

MY HERO has all the authoring and publishing tools you and your students will need.

Teachers start by registering as an educator and creating a class code.

Students register using the class code. They create their own hero content, which can be curated into a class showcase webpage organizer.

Teachers publish the class page(s) for the MY HERO global audience and share them with your school, community, and the online global MY HERO world.

The CREATE PAGE will be where students identify the kind of medium for your project, using it to make their own media pages. There is a Tutorial for Students on how to use the Create Program to publish their projects. 

Use the Create Program For Stories, Art, Film and Audio
Students Write Their Own Hero Stories

HAVE YOUR STUDENTS WRITE STORIES ABOUT THEIR HEROES

Elementary School students

Middle School students

High School students

HAVE YOUR STUDENTS CREATE HERO ART

What does heroism look like? Is it a portrait of a hero? An illustration of heroic actions? Visual storytelling in frames? 

While art teachers can use heroism as a subject for their existing art lesson objectives, general education teachers can incorporate hero art as an alternative creative and publishing experience. Here's a tutorial to get your started.

HAVE YOUR STUDENTS CREATE HERO-RELATED FILMS

Use MY HERO's Screening Room and curated lists of films for examples.

Use our resources for helping individuals or groups choose their hero. (see above)

Online video production is challenging, relying on whatever students have at home to work with. We adapted the PBS NEWSHOUR Student Reporting Lab's lesson to creating a hero interview video.

Student films can be simple, edited interviews with titles and credits. We have additional lessons to support that. 

Want your students to create narrative, documentary, or experimental films, but you're not a film making teacher? No worries! MY HERO has extensive Media Arts lessons to walk you through every step of pre-production, production, and post production. 

Publish your student films on class organizer pages and have your own virtual screening! 

Students Create Short Films
Media Arts Education Resources

MY HERO Teachers Room (myhero.com/TeachersRoom)

For additional resources and lesson plans, visit the MY HERO Teachers Room.

For example, in the teachers room you will find Language Arts lesson plans and resources organized by grade level. There are multimedia Science lesson plans and resources, which includes Ocean Conservation, also organized by grade level. 

Global MY HERO Learning CIrcle

LEARNING CIRCLES, a partnership between The MY HERO Project and iEARN, put teachers and students in touch with other classes around the world.

HOWEVER MUCH TIME YOU HAVE, USE MY HERO RESOURCES AND PROJECTS TO INSPIRE AND BRING HOPE TO YOUR STUDENTS.

Distance Learning

If you are interested in mentoring or have questions about using   MY HERO with your students, email: [email protected]

MY HERO's team of educators review all submissions to ensure that work is appropriate and does NOT promote hatred, violence, racism or sexism. 

Organizer created on 7/22/2020 5:57:30 PM by Jerrilyn Jacobs

Last edited 4/12/2021 4:23:38 PM by Laura Nietzer